My work draws from personal, cultural and social ideas surrounding gender, sex, death, memory and loss.
I look at how the role of the ‘mother’ has affected our ideas/ideals of femininity both in terms of the patriarchal church and of our perceptions/expectations of motherhood in western culture.
Notions of memory are also explored through the collection and then casting of lost or discarded personal objects and memorabilia, found in charity and bric-a-brac shops. This process allows me to identify a collective and cultural identity that express’ emotions of loss and remembrance and to explore the tenacious relationship we have with our own mortality. By casting the objects in white plaster I can create a more universal 'momenti mori', the former marks of wear and paint are lost, leaving only a memory of it’s former self.
My focus is on creating an interplay between memory and surrealism, between fiction and dream, a point at which personal histories become collective identities and the didactic between beauty and death.
There is an anthropological element to the works. I want to understand and to reconcile. To create something of beauty with an underbelly of darkness and truth, knowing that nothing remains the same.
- 2012 2012 Santorini Beinale, Various venues throughout Santorini, Pyrgos (more info)
- 2012 DeptfordX, Various, Deptford (more info)
- 2011 The Ecstasy of Memory, The Vyner Street Gallery, London E2
- 2009 Fairytales Two Installations, Shed-and-a-Half Gallery, Shoreditch, London
- 2008 'Vanitas' Site specific installation/cast of a memorial bench in black wax, Orleans House Gallery, Twickenham, Middlesex
- 2012 The National Open Art Competition, THE MINERVA GALLERY CHICHESTER and THE PRINCE'S FOUNDATION GALLERY HOXTON, Chichester & London (more info)
- 2012 Ludlow Open, Ludlow College, Shropshire
- 2012 Santorini Beinale, http://www.santorinibiennale.gr/santorini-biennale, Santorini, Greece
- 2012 Annual Sculpture Exhibition, The Sanyi Wood Sculpture Museum, Taiwan (more info)
- 2012 Collectible, ASC Studios, Bond House, Goodwood Road, New Cross, London, SE14 6BL
- 2011 In the current climate, The Vibe Gallery, London (more info)
- 2011 For What It's Worth, 3-5 Whitechapel Road, London (more info)
- 2010 Backlit Open, Backlit, Nottingham
- 2010 Bittersweet, St. Art Gallery, London
- 2008 Artist Books, Art House Gallery, Southhampton
- 2007 Throes, Victoria Court Interiors, Nottingham
- 2007 Below The Line, Art House Gallery, Southampton
- 2005 Multiple Orgasm, Lost in Space Gallery, Brixton, London
- 2005 RBS Inside Annual, RBS Gallery, London
Competitions, prizes and awards
- 2012 DeptfordX, Various venues within a half mile radius of Deptford train station, St. Paul's church, deptford. Main line train station, Deptford.
- 2010 BACKLIT OPEN, BACKLIT, The Factory, Dakeyne Street, Nottingham, NG3 2AR
- 2005 RBS INSIDE ANNUAL 2005, RBS Gallery, 108 Old Brompton Road, London, SW7
Web links - article/press