Most importantly, my work is an exploration around reality and illusion. In particular the sensation of a fractured reality; the paintings depict figures within, and enveloped by spaces that feel simultaneously familiar and unreal. The idea of the moment is imperative to the process of making the paintings; they have to create tension in a moment in time.
My works are often small, the size offering a dynamic, intimate relationship. Absence and fragmentation is played with, coupled with heightened areas of patterning and layers of paint. Areas of the canvas are left unpainted, others are built up over a period of time. I utilise a lexicon of imagery drawn from various sources, from books on witchcraft and cults to boxing magazines and Kung Fu journals. The figures that I choose and which interest me the most, are usually performing or engaged in some unknown ritual.
The interest in rituals and performances formed, when I was looking at boxing magazines from the 1950's and 1960's visual psychedelic experiments. During a residency in China, this research into performative behaviour deepened and expanded, in connection to rituals within Taoism and Buddhism and formed a new body of work. Consequently, mythological behaviour in connection to rites and rituals is the framework of much of my current work. It is an investigation into a language exploring the mystery of rituals.
My recent work investigates mainly occult practices and mythology. Particularly, rites and rituals used in ancient and contemporary traditions of witchcraft. The figures are often female, masked, dressed in robes, hooded and undertaking some kind of performance. They are figures caught in flux, fleetingly tangible, yet at the same time abstracted and unknowable.
I like to think of my paintings as interpreting a kind of ‘gothic psychedelia’. They are the juncture where psychedelic patterning and colours meet darker forces driven by an interest in ritualistic performances and the ‘freak out’ of the acid trip.
Current and forthcoming events
- May - June 2013: Rituals Are Tellers of Us, Newlyn Art Gallery, Newlyn (more info)
Qualifications and training
- 2009 MA Fine Art, Chelsea College of Art & Design, London
- 2001 BA Fine Art, Manchester School of Art, Manchester
- 2012 Darkling, Motorcade/FlashParade, Bristol (more info)
- 2012 Out of the Cosmic Storm, Transition Gallery, London (more info)
- 2005 Cornerhouse Projects, Cornerhouse, Manchester
- 2013 The Owl Service, Transition gallery, London (more info)
- 2012 Griffin Art Prize 2012, The Griffin Gallery, London (more info)
- 2012 The Manchester Contemporary 2012, Quay House, Spinningfields, Manchester
- 2012 Apophenia, The China Shop Gallery, Oxford (more info)
- 2012 Triptych, Four Piccadilly Place, Manchester
- 2012 And Let the Walls Loose, Paradise Mill, Macclesfield
- 2012 Painting Rituals, Coldharbour London, London (more info)
- 2011 National Open Competition, Motorcade/Flashparade, Bristol
- 2011 Pulp Fictions, Transition Gallery, London
- 2011 Open painting Competition, Motorcade/Flashparade, Bristol
- 2011 Dissipatio HG, Chiostro di Voltorre, Italy
- 2011 Heavens to Murgatroyd!, Arts Gallery, University of the Arts London, London (more info)
- 2011 I am Solitary, Gift, London
- 2010 Fade Away, Transition Gallery, London
- 2010 Red Mansion Art Prize Residency, Beijing, China
- 2009 Magic Carpet, The crypt gallery, London
- 2009 thecentre:mk Annual Painting Prize, Middleton Hall, Milton Keynes
- 2008 Awopbopdawoobop, Transition Gallery, London
- 2007 Now wash Your hands, Auto Italia, Peckham
Competitions, prizes and awards
- 2011 National Open Prizewinner, Motorcade/FlashParade, Bristol
- 2011 Red Mansion Art Prize, Chelsea College of Art & Design, Triangle Space
- 2009 Brenda Landon Pye Prize Winner, Chelsea College Art & Design, London
- 2012 The Manchester Contemporary 2012, Quay House, Spinningfields, Manchester (more info)