In my work, I try to define experience; from the moment, from memory, from knowledge and from awareness. I aim at making work that contains the same degree of intensity as that experience. A lot of this is obtained from within the home, where time, life and possibilities are contained and space is squeezed, so that everything that exists is tightly bound together, reflected by light and shadow as the unseen, or the slightly out of reach. This plays out also in the places outside of the home that interest me; inside the mind, landscape and universe. I have always felt I live within a loop, where some attempt in the control of time is made by the image and where, because of longing, a melancholic repitition is constant. The work may often reveal the same forms, objects or places, again as a result of this repitition and re-use we see in life. My constant struggle with these themes and their translation into meaningful form is what allows for a sincere and honest approach to my work. The details within a given piece of work may show small details from the house, indefinable spaces, or even a hint of ancient civilisation. All are produced within infinite and eternal space; the small area of the image, where surface and depth are engaged. The process is one where this image is a correlation with life, a mutual relationship of two entities; myself and the work.
Other interests that may inform my work are astronomy and space travel, films, music such as that of Pink Floyd, jazz, classical, or the sitar of Roopa Panesar, by storms, exposed landscape and coasts, to name but a few. Art historical interests are primarily with British and American modernists, especially St.Ives. I will use drawing, painting and constructions.
- 2008 Artist Action Research, 'People, Place, Identity', Longhouse/Multistory, West Midlands
Qualifications and training
- 1988 BA Graphic Design, Birmingham Polytechnic, West Midlands
- 1996 3 years Lecturing drawing courses, Bournville College Further Education, West Midlands
- 2011 'Sunrise', Web, Internet
- 2010 'Revealed, Retrieved', White Tree Gallery, Wolverhampton
- 2009 'Fleeting Glimpse', Wolverhampton Art Gallery, Wolverhampton, UK
- 2012 Reading Room, Little Berlin, Philadelphia, USA
- 2010 'At Home', Chapel Gallery, Ormskirk
- 2010 'Metaphysics and Memory' - collaboration with artist Rachael Griffiths, Haden Hill House, Old Hill, Sandwell, West Midlands