I initially start with the question of how much I can ‘work’ a surface. All the works display a multiplicity of marks (scratching, piercing or drawing) which result in surfaces resonant with the prolonged activity of their own deconstruction. I stop working on the paper when it achieves a state of fragility whereby its coherent form would be under threat if subjected to further marks.
The works share a concern with the existence and possible non-existence of objects, with each piece displaying a material narrative of making/unmaking. The process allows the work to be visually and imaginatively ‘rewound’, bringing with it an awareness that a part is missing, identifying a loss.
- 2011 Drawing and Illustration Series, Bank Street Arts, Sheffield
- 2011 TK Gallery Exhibition: Jade Gilbert, Total Kunst Gallery, Edinburgh (more info)
- 2011 Beholder, Talbot Rice Gallery, Edinburgh
- 2011 Save the Forest Art Auction, Axo Gallery 59 Queen Charlotte Street Edinburgh, Edinburgh (more info)
- 2010 BETWEEN EXPRESSION AND ACTION: A group show of drawing, Red Eric Leeds, Leeds (more info)
- 2010 Nearly. Centering On The Periphery, No Name No Number, Chelmer Road, London (more info)
Web links - gallery/work/projects