My work is mainly created by objects, belongings and memorabilia that surround us every day. As an avid collector and self confessed hoarder of mundane and quirky items, I assemble my treasures into still life photographs. My earlier work used traditional photography practices; however majority of my current work has been photographed digitally.
I endeavour to re-present these items and paraphernalia to inspire the viewer and myself as an artist. The composition, arrangement and layout of my 'collections' are uncluttered and often direct. Simplistic lighting and balance are fundamental with each collection.
I like the viewer to be challenged on many levels- nostalgia, aesthetic or simply by a personal association of such curiosities. I like to evoke an emotion by producing bizarre collections so the images form a contemporary archive.
Qualifications and training
- 1991 Multidisciplinary design degree (Photography), Staffordshire Polytechnic, Stoke on trent
- 2009 View From This Side, LCB Depot, Leicester
- 1998 Under the Trees, The Picture House, Leicester
- 1993 'Museums in Motion', The Picture House, Leicester
- 2011 Open 23, New Walk Museum, Leicester
- 2009 5 Years On.. An art retrospective, LCB Depot, Leicester
- 2009 Brussels and Bleach, Disappearing Traditions, Peepul Centre, Leicester
- 1996 The Beautiful Game, The City Gallery, Leicester
- 2000 Selected works at the International Photography Exhibition, Atelier de maintenance, Arles, France