I make paintings on paper, canvas and wood which take imagery from art historical and contemporary sources; alongside these I make abstract paintings.
My recent paintings ('Los azulejos' series and 'We may not be here tomorrow' series) make reference to Mexican sources, for example, photographs taken in Guadalajara.
‘Los azulejos – a tale that can’t be told’
September 2010: M moves to Mexico. I want to make work which articulates my response, but it seems just out of my grasp. In my understanding of the situation there is a blurring between the real and the imagined; between daytime and nocturnal thoughts and between past, present and future events.
The stories in the news are mainly negative ; I become fascinated (attracted/ repulsed) by these places; searching out a version of reality from the virtual safety of Google street view, looking for the surprise of beauty, the strange or the sinister, screened through the veneer of the banal.
The use of pattern and decoration become a way of confronting, organising and analysing my concerns while intuition and telepathy play key roles in the choice and treatment of the subject.
Qualifications and training
- 2008 MA Fine Art, Bath Spa University, Bath, UK
- 1990 B.Ed (Hons) Art, Bristol Polytechnic, Bristol, UK
- 2012 'Objects of Desire', The Searchers Contemporary, Bristol
- 2012 'Objects of Desire', Centrespace Gallery, Bristol
- 2011 'No.1: Paint', Blank Media Collective, Manchester
- 2009 6 at the Octagon, Bath Fringe Festival, Bath
- 2009 Spike Open Studios, Spike Island, Bristol
- 2009 MA and Other Postgraduates, Atkinson Gallery, Millfield, Somerset
- 2008 Bath Spa Masters Interim Exhbition, Bath Spa University, Bath
- 2008 Spike Island Open Studios, Spike Island, Bristol
- 2007 Exeter Contemporary Open, Exeter Phoenix, Exeter
- 2005 'Sketch', Rabley Contemporary Drawing Centre, Wiltshire
Competitions, prizes and awards
- 2010 Fringe MK Painting Prize 2010 (catalogue), Fringe Milton Keynes - online catalogue, facebook - Fringe MK
- 2000 Autumn Exhibition Prizewinner, Royal West of England Academy, Bristol