I am currently working on a painting and photography trilogy concerning my memories of journeys and places which have been familiar to me over the years. In my work I try to reflect the sense of freedom I have experienced in these places. I am also interested in the crossover between urban and rural environs. I am often influenced by film and photography with regard to technique in my work and also environmental themes. Sometimes I represent the intermediate visual experience of transition or travel across landscapes, capturing particular subjects which are fleeting and unusual. My approach to the work is totally experiential and has developed over years of travel, usually overland, gathering landscape images and producing paintings and more recently photographs in groups for these individual projects. In between the trilogies I am producing photographs for Random Places which represents the landscapes in between the other projects.
The journals I keep-both photographic and written act as sketchbooks, it is how I record visual material which then inspires a body of work. The challenge for me is to produce works which encompass the atmosphere and often depth of history of a place.
The first part of the trilogy was 'Memory of Snow' a series of large landscape paintings based on a winter in the Czech Republic and exhibited with Welsh landscapes of a similar theme. These were exhibited in Wales and Berlin in 2007.
'Memory of Light' part two of the trilogy is painting and photography based, shown at Oriel Mwldan, Cardigan, Wales 2011 and at Oriel Andrew Lamont Gallery, Brecon, Wales 2011 also in the interior of a government building in Berlin, Germany 2011.
Work in progress
At the research and production stage, the third and last part of the trilogy 'Memory of Fire' based on travels to Rome and the surrounding region of Lazio which holds relics of Etruscan culture in the landscape (photography based) it is due for exhibition at The Institute for Cultural Diplomacy, Berlin and Random Places is ongoing.
All small photographs are printed on order, large photographs shown here from Memory of Light are currently available.
2010 Production award for Memory of Light Arts Council of Wales
2006 Individual artist project award for Memory of Snow, Arts Council of Wales
- 2011 Memory of Light/Atgof o Oleuni, German Federal Ministry of Finance building, Berlin, Germany
- 2011 Memory of Light, Oriel Andrew Lamont Gallery, Brecon, Wales UK
- 2011 Memory of Light, Oriel Mwldan, (Theatr Mwldan), Cardigan
- 2011 Memory of Light-Preview works, Federal Ministry of Finance, Berlin Germany
- 2008 Memory of Snow-Czech Republic and Wales project, Oriel Andrew Lamont Gallery, Brecon, Wales
- 2007 Memory of Snow-Czech Republic and Wales project, Theatr Harlech, Harlech, Wales
- 2007 Memory of Snow, Aberystwyth Arts Centre, Aberystwyth, Wales
- 2010 Origin of Colour, School of Geosciences, Aberdeen University, Aberdeen, Scotland, UK
- 2009 Chasing Flames, turn-berlin gallery, Berlin, Germany
- 2009 Group show, paintings based on environment & travel, Waterloo Action Centre Gallery, Waterloo, London UK
- 2009 Group show for painters (czech dream + trainlights), turn-berlin, Berlin
- 2007 Undercover-Oriel Davies Open, Oriel Davies Gallery, Newtown, Wales
- 2006 Two Cubed, Oriel Cambria Gallery, Tregaron, Wales
- 2005 Selected Landscapes, Oriel Myrddin Gallery, Carmarthen, Wales
- 2000 Open exhibition, MOMA Museum of Modern Art Wales, Machynlleth, Wales
- 2011 Memory of Light, Oriel Mwldan (Theatr Mwldan), Cardigan
Web links - gallery/work/projects
Web links - article/press