I am an artist printmaker working in the relief and intaglio processes, which include etching, carborundum and woodcut prints. My work is inspired by the subject of work/industry and I have made drawings in a wide variety of industrial locations which have included sewage pumping stations, a distillery, building sites and a bell foundry, etc. The experience and inspiration of drawing on these sites have led to many major suites of prints and projected animation created from prints.
I attempt to organise a solo exhibition approximately every two years and in the meantime exhibit in open and group shows, taking opportunities where I can. My work has been purchased and is now in the permanent collections of the Smithsonian Institute in Washington DC, the Fitzwilliam Museum, the Ashmolean Museum and the Museum of London.
I have written three books in recent years. The first, 'Printmaking for Beginners' has been published in UK by A&C Black and subsequently published by other publishers around the world, including China and the USA. This has become a course book on several printmaking degree courses. More recently I have written 'Drawing Matters'. 'Extraordinary Sketchbooks' is my latest book and profiles 31 sketchbooks from a variety of people, including Henry Moore and William Kentridge.
I teach printmaking at West Dean College.
- 2004 London Underground poster, Print depicted on tube poster, London Underground
- 2013 TEN, Bankside Gallery, London
- 2012 RE International Open Print Exhibition, Bankside Gallery, Southwark, London
- 2012 Structure, Parndon Mill Gallery, Harlow, Essex
- 2010 New Impressions, North House Gallery, Manningtree (more info)
- 2008 Kenyan/UK printmakers exchange exhibition, RaMoMa (Museum of Modern Art), Nairobi, Kenya
- 2011 Artist-in-Residence, Harlow College, Essex
- 2011 commissioned work for atrium, University Centre Harlow (UCH), Harlow, Essex
- 2010 Draiflessen commission, Draiflessen Centre, Mettinger Germany
Competitions, prizes and awards
- 2013 Printmaking Today Prize, Bankside Gallery exhibition 13, London
- 2011 'Extraordinary Sketchbooks' by Jane Stobart
- 2006 'Drawing Matters' by Jane Stobart
- 2006 'Printmaking for Beginners' by Jane Stobart
Web links - gallery/work/projects