I make specific installations of varieties of objects. The work operates somewhere between installation and sculpture.
I re-use items found or bought from charity shops and carboot sales, second hand detritus no longer useful to previous owners. The different types of object establish their differences and similarities; relationships made by components grouped by design, materials and process from a previous life.
The mundane everyday quality of the materials elicits a sense of the familiar in the viewer, suggesting it is they who provide the narrative. The reusing of second hand materials is a strategy that is implicit in the history of textiles (home furnishing & dressmaking, make-do and mend).
My current work using illumination allows me to play with and change the quality of light in the piece. The light source refers to the functional aspect of the lamps used, but my concern is how it changes the colour and materials assembled, mostly because it establishes colour through the work in a painterly but 3 dimensional way.
Qualifications and training
- 2006 MA, Goldsmiths, London
- 2013 Small Islands#3, Airlock at Space Station Sixty Five, London SE11 4PS
- 2009 'Strange Fruit', Construct/deconstruct, curated Launch Collaborative, Oxford
- 2011 Mock Tudor, Transition Gallery offsite, London
- 2011 Housework, International 3, Manchester
- 2010 Material Actions touring exhibition, curated by Hannah Jones, Marianne Torrence (PCA), Clive Adams (CANNW), Brenda Millar & Amy Houghton (TFSW), Plymouth, Exeter, Bath, Bristol
- 2010 Regenerate, curated by Woodrow Kernohan, Simon Martin & Nicola Coleby, Regency Town House, Brighton
- 2012 Pleonasmos, upstairs gallery, St Pauls Church Deptford, DeptfordX
- 2011 Nunhead Illuminations, Nunhead, London
- 2008 'The Resonances of Eusapia Paladino', Peckham,, London
- 2010 Material Actions seminar, Plymouth College of Art & Design, Plymouth
- 2011 La-Di-Dah on 4th Avenue, Regeneration project funded Arts Council, & LB Lambeth
- 2014 Nunhead Open, Nunhead, annual uncurated project
Competitions, prizes and awards
- 2013 Arte Laguna, Arsenale, Venice
- 2010 Material Actions, essays Dr Kate Fletcher & Marianne Torrence, pub Aug 2010, Plymouth College of Art Press isbn 978-0-9557491-5-5
- 2007 Project - Surgery projects1-6 documentation publication