Anthropological curiosities, social history, personal identity and the relationship between fact and fantasy are predominant themes in my practice. Initially I acquired traditional sculpting techniques, increasingly I aim for the illusion of these as my work becomes ever more conceptual. I am interested in taking things from one context (time or place) and placing them in another, and in doing so incorporate skills and experience previously gained as a scriptwriter and magazine art director.
I have long been influenced by the process of collecting and the formation of collections on all scales, and look to challenge traditional presentation by changing emphasis of importance, and debating authenticity and provenance. I am particularly drawn to exhibiting in venues not generally used for art installations or exhibitions, and undertake considerable socio-historical research in all the work I produce.
I consider myself a storyteller in the very broadest sense; creating new or unexpected narratives, meanings or significances via the pieces I make using materials such as stone, wax, plaster, metal, paper, textiles, organic matter or found objects. I aim to take spectators on a deliberately ambiguous narrative journey through my work, allowing them to decide what is truth and what is fiction based on their own experiences.
- 2007 UNIFORM CHEST - resource incorporating artifacts from World War I, Northampton Museums & Art Gallery, Northampton Museum
- 2012 YOUNG MASTERS ART PRIZE 2012, Gallery 27, Cork Street, London
- 2012 CURIOUS PURSUITS, The Portico Library, Manchester
- 2010 THE FREAKS EXHIBITION, Shoreditch Town Hall, Old Street, London
- 2010 ART WITH A PULSE II, Shire Hall Gallery, Stafford
- 2010 ART WITH A PULSE II, 20-21 Visual Arts Centre, Lincolnshire
- 2010 EAST WING IX: Exhibitionism, Courtauld Institute of Art, Somerset House, London
- 2009 ARTBEAT, To & For Rooms, London
- 2008 HEART OF GLASS, Shoreditch Town Hall, Old Street, London
- 2009 THINKING OUTSIDE THE BOX: Collaborating with Museums, Museums Association Conference, Queen Elizabeth Conference Centre, London
- 2007 HANDS ON HISTORY: artist panel discussion, Northampton Museums & Art Gallery, Northampton University
- 2005 TELLING TALES: installation inspired by pupils' set text: An Inspector Calls, Pitzhanger Manor House & Gallery, Brentside High School, Hanwell
- 2007 BELONGINGS: installation to convey the history and cultural diversity in the area via the lives and possessions of five fictional residents, Spitalfields Development Group (commissioned by Dickson Russell Art Management), Market Street, Spitalfields, London E1
Competitions, prizes and awards
- 2012 YOUNG MASTERS ART PRIZE 2012, Sphinx Fine Art, 125 Kensington Church Street, London W8 7LP