I systematically scavenge images within magazines; reacting to chance shots of unpredictable subject and composition. I select and depict these, which culminate in work subtly conveying ruinous contemporary anxieties and vanities, frequently drawing upon references from art history.
I make a traditional recipe of handmade gesso choosing, when appropriate, to add pigmented colours as seen in ‘Weights’. Whilst preparing the gesso surface, I fanatically sand for a smooth yet inevitably flawed surface that, when inspected close up, reveals the intricacies and incidental qualities of the material. A combination of painting techniques and materials are exploited, mixing tightly worked areas with violent marks to enhance and heighten the images’ qualities.
- 2012 Recline, Ledge, London
- 2012 Temporary Surfaces, Surface Gallery, Nottingham
- 2012 WW Solo Award Group 2012, WW Gallery, London
- 2011 Core Open - Deptford X Festival, Core Gallery, Deptford, London
- 2010 A Tender Cut, Fold Gallery, London
- 2009 If it's HOT, it's HERE!, Embassy Gallery, ANNUALE www.annuale.edinburghcontemporary.org, Edinburgh
- 2008 MFA Degree Show 2008, Slade School of Art, London
- 2011 Possible elements for painting, www.foamshrimp.com, WWW - online exhibition
- 2007 Paper works?, Woburn Research Centre, UCL, London
- 2012 A.L.A.S Residency Exhibition, Matt Roberts Art, London
- 2012 Marmite Painting Prize Catalogue
- 2010 FringeMK Annual Painting Prize
- 2008 Cluster Arts Magazine Issue 2: Act Two Run by The Ladies of the Press**