Emotional narrative and psychological undercurrents influence my work, turning the activity of painting into a kind of cognitive cartography, involving the painstaking distillation and processing of complex abstract information into a colour coded pictogram.
Stylistically, I am aware of being strongly influenced by post-modern design, the Bauhaus, fifties abstraction and minimalism.
I work in the plan view, borrowing the format of the diagram sometimes referencing architectural forms and road maps, using opaque block colours, always with black and white.
Qualifications and training
- 2002 MA Painting, Wimbledon School of Art, Wimbledon
- 2011 'A Surface Life', The Glass Room, Colston Hall, Bristol
- 2009 '100 little pictures', The Green Room, The Tobacco Factory cafe, Bristol (more info)
- 2007 Paintings by Ruth Piper, Chelsea Arts Club, Old Church Street, London
- 2010 'On the Cusp', Form + Content Gallery, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
- 2010 'On the cusp', Form & Content Gallery, Minneapolis (more info)
- 2009 157th Autumn Exhibition, Royal West of England Academy, Bristol
- 2009 7-Select, Centrespace Gallery, Bristol
- 2008 156 Autumn Exhibition, Royal West of England Academy, Bristol
- 2008 'Internal Cosmology', Centrespace Gallery, Bristol (more info)
- 2008 Mivart Artists Exhibition, Compass Film Festival, Mivart Street, Bristol
- 2008 New Wave, Bute Space, Cardiff Bay
- 2007 'New Constructivists', Knapp Gallery, Regents College, Regents Park, London
- 2006 'New Constructivists', Keyworth Centre, South London University, London
- 2005 Group Painting Show, 'View' Gallery, Thames Ditton, Surrey
- 2003 'City Limits', Riverside Studios, Hammersmith, London
- 2005 Installation of paintings, Spinach, design consultancy, Islington, London
- 2004 'Iconography for a new age', Kings College Library, Chancery Lane, London
- 2010 '2 day studio', B-Side Festival, Portland, Dorset
- 2008 Decorative Panel. Commissioned by: Bristol East Side Traders, Old School House, Creative Business centre, Barton Hill, Bristol