Strategic and tactical artworks in public spaces and the public sphere: place, people and environment, accessibility, environmentalism & inclusivity through action, research projects, with authority, community and agency.
Temporary and permanent interventions. debates on a particular social, political or environmental issue through the media. Adaptation of existing infrastructure. Projects which are long lived but are changed or adapted by people/ecologies over time.
Collaboration with communities, scientists, architects, planners and others interested in the public realm.
Methodologies have included consultation mechanisms (website, media or even the planning process), business planning models, practical workshops, and new public space technologies such as micro-transmitters.
Outcomes have been low cost, expensive, replicable, unique, durable and evolving.
Founder and member of ruralrecreation.
Qualifications and training
- 2006 Phd: Candidate: Art in the public realm and the politics of rural leisure, University College Falmouth, Falmouth
- 1995 MA Fine Art, Northumbria University, Newcastle upon Tyne
- 1992 BA Hons Fine Art, Leicester Polytechnic, Leicester
- 2006 Stairway to Heaven, Dartington College of Art, Dartington
- 2012 Submergency, Aune Head Arts, Dartington Hall
- 2010 Art, Ecology & Economy, Centre for Contemporary Art and the Natural World, Exeter
- 2012 N3: Network Neighbourhood Nature, Dorset Design and Heritage Forum, Dorset
- 2011 conference convenor: "Wide Open Space: localism, art in public and rural regeneration", Dorset Design and Heritage Forum, Dorset
- 2010 Art & landscape strategy for Tremough Campus, University College Falmouth, Falmouth
- 2009 Wide Open Space, Dorset Strategic Partnership, Dorset
- 2008 Immersion, Aune Head Arts, Dartmoor, Devon
- 2007 Urban Field, Devon Guild of Craftsmen, Bovey Tracey
- 2005 Elemental Insight, Met Office, Exeter
- 2007 Inclusive Path, FRED, Cumbria
- 2011 Birds and bees: wildlife station, Arts NK, Wellingore
- 2008 Artist in residence for Turn Lyme Green, Pride of Place Award - Dorset County Council, Lyme Regis
- 2008 Lead Artist - Public realm strategy, SeaChange: North Devon District Council, Ilfracombe
- 2008 Arcadia Revisited, Essex County Council, Jaywick, Essex
- 2007 Immersion, Bright Sparks 3, LANS, Gunpowder Park