Frances Young is a UK based artist working in moving image media, exhibited widely in Europe and the USA. Her work is in the collections of David Roberts (London, UK), Gemeente Museum, Helmond (Netherlands), University of the Arts London Permanent Collection (UK), and private collections in the UK and USA. She holds an MA in Fine Art from Wimbledon College of Art (University of the Arts London).
Her recent project, 'Forever Is Over Again', was created in response to locations around the San Francisco Bay area during a 3 month fellowship in Berkeley CA, in 2011. The work investigates place and medium in relation to time, with a variety and fluidity of working processes - utilising super 8, digital formats, 35mm photographs, archive images, and a camera obscura - to create a group of video pieces and series of prints. 'Forever Is Over Again' was supported by Kala Art Institute and the National Lottery through Arts Council England.
'Sites of Transition', (2009 / 2010), explored transition as process and subject: recording and reconstructing passages through time and place, paralleled with shifts between analogue and digital video. In 'Black Hills Sequencer' and 'Wyoming, Always' (2009) there is a personal re-encountering of American road movie landscapes and a continual shift between the recorded image, its re-presentation, and the texture of the medium. Alongside this are abstract pieces such as 'Oscillate 01' (2009), voltage-controlled and produced live on analogue modular systems.
Earlier work includes 'Song of Farewell' (2007), which uses slowed footage of starlings flying to and from a deserted rollercoaster at dusk. The piece moves through a cycle of changing light; the structure of the rollercoaster and the circular, repetitive flight patterns of the birds echoed by the rhythmic sound of vinyl end-static which loops through the piece: an ending without end.
- 2010 Frances Young - Sites of Transition, Madder139, 1 Vyner Street, London, UK
- 2009 Frances Young | Sienna Shields, Kuma Galerie, Berlin, Germany
- 2009 Frances Young - Song of Farewell, Stone Squid, Hastings, UK
- 2013 Flatpack Festival, Flatpack Palais, The Custard Factory, Gibb St, Digbeth, Birmingham, UK.
- 2012 Berwick Film & Media Arts Festival, The Maltings Theatre & Cinema, Berwick-upon-Tweed, UK.
- 2012 Athens Video Art Festival 2012, Stoa Kourtaki, Athens, Greece
- 2011 Residency Projects, Kala Art Institute & Gallery, Berkeley, CA, USA
- 2011 Liminal Spaces, Loop Festival, Barcelona
- 2010 BFAMI Gala Dinner & Auction - 'Changing Landscapes', Christie's / BFAMI, The Royal Horticultural Hall, London SW1 / Christie's King Street, London, UK.
- 2010 Arte Video Night, Arte TV / FIAC, Paris, France / worldwide.
- 2010 Volta 6, Dreispitzhalle, Basel, Switzerland
- 2010 Trajector Art Fair, Hotel Bloom!, Brussels, Belgium
- 2008 Winterlight Video Art, OVADA Gallery / Oxford Castle, Oxford, UK
- 2008 Future50, PSL, Whitehall Waterfront, Leeds, UK
- 2008 Le:60 Film Fest, Lumen Eclipse, Palmer Street, Harvard Square, Cambridge, MA, USA
- 2008 From Dusk Till Dawn, The Arts Gallery, University of the Arts London, London, UK
- 2008 Anticipation: An Exhibition of London’s Best Emerging Artists, curated by Kay Saatchi & Catriona Warren, Selfridges, London, UK
- 2008 Hungry Eyes: Video Screening, Number 38, Oxford, UK
- 2007 ANIMAL, Lumen Eclipse, Outdoor screening at Harvard Square, Cambridge, MA, USA
- 2007 Future Map 2007, The Arts Gallery, University of the Arts London, London, UK
- 2007 Postgraduate Exhibition 2007, Wimbledon College of Art, University of the Arts London
- 2011 Fellowship Award, Kala Art Institute, Berkeley, CA, USA
- 2009 Artist in Residence, Experimental Television Center, Owego, NY, USA
- 2010 Rattle, issue 1: Frances Young - Signals, Owego (2009)