Leanne Bell Gonczarow considers narrative construction and suggestion in relation to time-based phenomena. A driving force of the practice is an exploration of light - as both subject and material.
During an MA in Book Arts an interest was developed in the book as a construct or site in which time can be highlighted and controlled through an engagement with the book’s inherent qualities ie. page, order, sequence and through these, contained duration. The installations she constructs use these qualities as an architecture to articulate time and space.
A current concern is to provide a physical encounter with the photographic. By re-integrating an image in to the environment it depicts, or covering a surface with a facsimile of itself, she is attempting to prod and poke at the limits of photography’s ability to accurately preserve and present a moment in time.
- 2012 Third Stone, Occupy My Time Gallery, ENCLAVE Deptford, London
- 2011 Translate/Transcribe, Central House of Artists, Moscow, Russia
- 2010 Attract/Repel, Central Booking, New York
- 2009 Transitions, Flacon, Moscow, Russia
- 2009 The Reading Room at Broadway, The Reading Room (Hinterland Projects), Broadway Cinema and Media Centre, Nottingham
- 2008 It's your Round, Camberwell Arts Festival, The Bear, Camberwell
- 2007 Future Map 07, Arts Gallery, University of the Arts, Davies Street, London (more info)
- 2007 LAB 07 (London Artists Book Fair), Institute of Contemporary Arts (ICA), London
- 2007 Urbanbodies 2, Greenwich Picturehouse, London
- 2007 MA BOOK ARTS Final exhibition, Camberwell College of Art, London
- 2007 Picasso's Laboratory, St. James Cavalier, Valletta, Malta
- 2007 10th International Contemporary Artists' Book Fair, University of Leeds, Leeds, UK
- 2006 LAB '06, Institute of Contemporary Arts (ICA), London
- 2006 The Space between the Sole and the Heel, Collective Gallery, Edinburgh, UK
- 2005 The Space between the Sole and the Heel, Globe Gallery, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
- 2004 We Are Transparent, Waygood Gallery, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
- 2003 The Dossier, Waygood Gallery, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
- 2007 It was an August afternoon..., Deptford X, Deptford (more info)
- 2012 Moscow there and back, Occupy My Time Gallery, Enclave, Deptford, London
Competitions, prizes and awards
- 2007 The Murton/Crawford Award for Book Art