My practice is driven by a fascination with the physical and psychological effects a work can have on an audience, and how the scale and proportion of constructed pieces relate to architectural space.
The sculptural works explore the traditions of form through modification and manipulation of building materials. Through which I seek to examine the thresholds between function and dysfunction and test the point of structural integrity, often pushing work to the point where it might fail and fall apart.
My installations aim to provoke an active response through the disruption of temporal and spatial experience. Upon entering an immersive space, the audience may be isolated or restricted, experiencing an intensification and complication of sensations and reactions. The result is a physiological subversion in which the play of light and dark and the expansion and restriction of space come to configure art as intellectual inquiry as much as visual display.
Qualifications and training
- 2012 MA Fine Art, Camberwell College of Arts, London
- 2001 BA (Hons) Fine Art Sculpture, Wimbledon School of Art, London
- 2010 Borrowed Site, The Old Fire Station, Redruth, Cornwall
- 2007 Dark Room, Enter Festival, Abbey Taxi - Project Space, Cambridge
- 2006 Dissolution of Identities, Wysing Arts Centre, Cambridge
- 2012 Repair, Aid & Abet, Cambridge
- 2011 Intervention Intervention, Fishmarket Gallery, Northampton
- 2009 Blue Sky, Anglia Ruskin University, Cambridge
- 2007 Back Space, Aurora International Arts Festival, Norwich
- 2005 Annual open exhibition, Hebden Bridge Sculpture Trail, Yorkshire
- 2012 Momentarily Lost, Holbeck Underground Ballrooms, Leeds
- 2008 observer observed, Wysing Arts Centre, Cambridge
- 2010 does the public always know best? Part of the Detachment Collaboratory Forum sponsored by the Economic and Social Research Council, Girton College, Cambridge
- 2011 Joya, Los Gazquez, Spain
- 2009 Limited Addition, Orchard Park, Cambridge
- 2008 Great Eastern Run Project, Shape East, Peterborough
Competitions, prizes and awards
- 2012 Salon Art Prize, Matt Roberts Arts, London
- 2008 a n Interface review – Matt Roberts
- 2007 Going Beyond the Dead End: The Work of CJ Mahony by Cherry Smyth