I am interested in the crossover between painting and sculpture, more specifically with the relationship between the surface of a work and its objectness. Alongside this I am fascinated by light and landscape; by the vastness of sky, sea and land. My work aims not to represent these but to create quiet and contemplative works that evoke the experience of visual phenomena. The physicality of the pieces - their weight or fragility; their relationship to each other and to their environment is of equal importance to the evocation of light and oblique reference to land contained in the articulation of their surfaces. I am interested in the tension between the physicality of the pieces and the potential for pictoriality within the work and whether it is possible to hold these two elements in balance.
I use a variety of materials and processes from scoring and soaking surfaces in oil to wrapping scored pieces with thread. More recent work has included layers of varying thicknesses of painted acrylic on top of blocks of oak and MDF, exploiting its' transparency and creating works where the 'objectness' of the work is highlighted, ie the edges of the pieces are of equal importance to the face whilst their relationship to the wall ensures they are still read as 'painting'.
Qualifications and training
- 2006 MA Fine Art (Painting), Wimbledon School of Art, London
- 1990 BA Honours Visual Studies and Art History, Oxford Polytechnic, Oxford
- 2012 'Object - Horizon', Sarah Wiseman Gallery, Summertown, Oxford
- 2013 Drawing Show, O3 Gallery, Oxford
- 2012 Affordable Art Fair, Brunel's Old Station, Bristol
- 2012 'How Are You?' charity Auction, Hemingway Art, Oxford (more info)
- 2011 Affordable Art Fair, Hampstead, London
- 2008 Les Chemins du Dialogue, Maison de L'International, Grenoble
- 2007 MA's All, Stroud House Gallery, Stroud, Gloucestershire
- 2006 'BASE' MA interim show, Trinity Bouy Wharf, London
- 2005 BHF Bank, London
- 2005 'Working for Peanuts', MA interim show, Space 44, London