Drawing is the foundation of my practice that addresses the themes of site, context, belonging and memory. I often make drawings in series to explore and expand on my ideas. I utilise collage and printmaking processes as well as photography and digital manipulation enabling me to develop images for surface designs and book-works.
For book-works I combine my ideas and drawings with folding and binding to create the books. On a physical level, I enjoy the potential of a sheet of paper that can be transformed to address any number of issues through its structure and relationship to image. I develop ideas using print and drawing to create small editions of books or one-off pieces exploring the notion of 2D and 3D visual communication.
My practice embraces a variety of commissions and periods of research. Projects include site-specific surface designs, action research of hand printed and digital wallpaper, collaborations and residencies. My interest and experience of commercial design enabled me to produce a winning entry for Formicas Design-a-Laminate competition in 2005.
I am very interested in the inter-play of fine art and surface design and am excited by the increasing opportunities for site-specific commissions that require sensitive visual communication and purposeful aesthetic. It is important to me that I challenge my practice within the context of art and design, and therefore exhibit work to explore forums in the public domain.
My wide and varied teaching practice enables me to experience the creative process of others and to participate in their development. I am fascinated by the diverse personal visual interpretations by individuals I have encountered and I find the teaching rewarding and complementary to my own creative practice.
- 2010 MOLH Hoarding 'The Order of Things', Newhall Square, Birmingham, West Midlands
- 2009 Roofscape - New Hospital Project, Birmingham, University Hospital Birmingham, Birmingham, West Midlands
- 2009 Dedham, Creative Conveniences, Colchester Borough Council, public conveniences, Dedham, Essex
- 2008 Creative Conveniences, Colchester, Colchester Borough Council, Lion Walk, Colchester, Essex
- 2007 Site-specific wallpaper, Museum of Lost Heritage, Birmingham, West Midlands
Qualifications and training
- 1997 MA Book Art, Camberwell College of Arts, Camberwell, London
- 1997 BA (Hons) Printed Textiles and Surface Design, Leeds College of Art and Design, Leeds
- 2003 Kate Farley - Recent works, School of Art, Media & Design, University of West of England, Bristol
- 2012 Kitchen Garden, Bilston Craft Gallery, Bilston, Wolverhampton
- 2010 Print Biennale, RBSA Gallery, Birmingham, West Midlands
- 2008 International Contemporary Artists Book Fair 2001 - 2008, Dean Clough Galleries / Leeds University, Halifax / Leeds, West Yorkshire
- 2002 New Arrivals, South Hill Park Arts Centre, Bracknell
- 2005 Photographic installation, Brentside High School, London (more info)
- 2004 Timeline project, Sherborne House, Sherborne, Dorset (more info)
- 2003 Trust Art Project, South London and Maudsley NHS Trust, London (more info)
Competitions, prizes and awards
- 2008 Action Research, site-specific wallpaper - hand and digitally printed, Birmingham City University, Birmingham Institute of art and Design
- 2005 'Retro' category winner in the 'Design-a-Laminate, 2005' competition, Formica, London
Educational experience - tertiary
- 2005 (0.6) Lecturer, BA (Hons) Textile Design (Printed Textiles), Birmingham Institute of Art and Design, Birmingham City University, Birmingham
- 2005 Associate Lecturer, Central Saint Martins College of Art and Design, London (more info)