Colin Higginson studied fine art at Gwent College of Higher Education and the University of Wales Institute Cardiff. He currently works and lives in Bristol and is based at Spike Island Studios.
Higginson’s work incorporates sculpture, model making techniques, photography, film, installation and performance.
His artwork is motivated by an ongoing interest in history, memory and representation, particularly in how meaning is constructed through narrative and artifice.
He has an ongoing interest in the relationship between the photographic image and the sculptural object. This is often explored through recreating specific artworks from archival photographs - transforming a two-dimensional image into a physical and tangible form. This method gives rise to the notions of imitation, authenticity and seeks to reveal new meaning and narrative.
He has been lead artist for various organizations including English Heritagewhere he devised Mapping Time, a site-specific arts project in Bristol. Between 2007 and 2009 he was artist in residence at the Bristol Record office and archive. I current work as a part-time lecturer for City of College where I teach animation.
Qualifications and training
- 2013 PGCE, University of the West of England, Bristol UK
- 1997 MA in Fine Art, University of Wales Institute Cardiff, Cardiff
- 1989 Post-Graduate Diploma in Art Therapy, Hertfordshire College of Art and Design, St Albans, UK
- 1984 Fine Art, Gwent College of Higher Education, Newport, Wales
- 2007 Curious, Bristol Record Office, Bristol
- 2002 That Which Never Ends, The Walcot Chapel, Bath
- 2012 Sub Woofer with Ancient and Modern, Spike Island, Bristol UK
- 2012 Spike sculpture artists show, Highbridge/Baltic 39, Newcastle
- 2011 Phase I, Studio 45 Spike Island Studios, Bristol, UK
- 2011 New Work(untitled), Spike Island Studios, Bristol
- 2010 From Within the Bungalow, Pill, Bristol, UK
- 2010 Somewhere When, Spike Island Studios, Bristol, UK
- 2009 Untitled, Spike Island Studios, Bristol, UK
- 2008 Giants Footprint, Spike Island Studios, Bristol, UK
- 2007 Some Vacant Accommodation, Stroud Vallery ArtsSpace, Stroud
- 2006 Monuments from my Body, number 4 Bristol Cathedral & Space City shown as part of Presque Vu, The Paintworks, Bristol
- 2006 Reorganising the Museum. at PLAN 9 curated show selected by Artists from the British Art Show 6, Bristol Museum and Art Gallery, The Red Lodge, Bristol
- 2005 The Sugar House & The Congregation shown as part of Convivium, St Thomas Church, Bristol
- 2004 Mixed Metaphors of Display, Mivart Studios, Bristol
- 2012 Memento Mori (a montage), The Sculpture Yard, Spike Island, Bristol UK
- 2001 Storehouse shown as part of Inbetween Time Festival, Arnolfini, Bristol
- 2000 Storehouse, Oeral Festival, Terschelling, Holland
- 2007 Research Residency, Bristol Record Office, Bristol, UK
- 2010 Dead Storage, Bristol Record Office, Bristol UK
- 2005 Mapping Time, English Heritage, Bristol, UK
- 2000 Breathing Space Commission, Arnolfini, Bristol, UK
- 2011 Pride of Place, Brislington Sculpture Project, Mshed Bristol Museum and Art Galery, Bristol, UK
- 2008 Living Landmarks Project, Southern Brooks Community Partnerships, South Gloucester
- 2007 Abolition, Church Conservation Trust, Bristol, UK
Competitions, prizes and awards
- 2007 Grants for the Arts, Arts Council England, UK
- 2006 Mentoring Award with Marcus Coates, British Arts Show 6 mentoring scheme, bristol, UK
- 2005 Mivart Development Award 2005, Mivart Studios, bristol, UK
- 2012 Co-organiser of Bristol - Newcastle Artist Exchange event, Highbridge/Baltic 39, Newcastle