I prefer to work with the sky arched over my head. Somewhere where I can be in place and stand as witness- when things go well I become a participant in the present moment. Teetering on the edge of what is and what is becoming is my position...at least that is what it feels like.
A breathlessness may be apparent in work made in this way.
Although direct work in the landscape is central to my practice so is reflection and research. I've begun to keep a research blog to share some of the mental processes which are hidden within the fabric of the pieces. My aspiration is to be fully attentive to the energetic exchange between what is outside myself and its connection with that interior landscape.
My materials tend to be water based (watercolour and acrylic) so they are influenced by precipitation and temperature. My best paintings feel like collaborations between me, the weather and the emerging work. Increasingly I'm incorporating the stuff of the landscape in the work. Natural earths attract me with their range of pigments, texture, geological nomenclature and age. Their presence within the fabric of the works connect them with place; its past and its present.
They do not fade.
Neither do they clash with each other.
- 2005 Senior Tutor, West Dean College, Chichester (more info)
- 2012 DRAWN TO ANTARCTICA 2004-2012, Gilbert White's House and Oates Museum, Selborne
- 2012 DRAWN TO ANTARCTICA 2004-2012, Brantwood, Cumbria
- 2011 MATTER ARISING, The David West Gallery, The Town Mill, Lyme Regis, Dorset
- 2010 ALL WEATHER WORKS, Quay Arts, Newport (more info)
- 2010 Drawn to Antarctica, The Atrium Gallery,, Bournemouth University
- 2013 AFFORDABLE ART FAIR, Battersea, London
- 2012 MILLFIELD SUMMER SHOW, Atkinson Gallery, Millfield, Street, Somerset
- 2011 159th Autumn exhibition, RWA Bristol, Bristol
- 2009 ARTISTS FROM THE SOUTH, OXMARKET GALLERIES, Oxmarket Centre of Arts, Chichester (more info)
- 2011 VOTIVES TO ST. WITE, wHITCHURCH CANONICORUM CHURCH, wHITCHURCH CANONICORUM (more info)
- 2010 Views of Bournemouth, Russell Cotes Art Museum and Gallery, Bournemouth
- 2012 FROZEN ORCHESTRAS LIVE at BH13, St Aldhelm's Church, Branksome, Poole
- 2011 FROZEN ORCHESTRAS LIVE, The Church of St Candida and Holy Cross, Whitchurch Canonicorum (more info)
- 2010 THE BOOKSHELF, The Lighthouse, Poole, Dorset
- 2010 Antarctica Encore, Bournemouth University, Talbot Campus, Poole, BH125BB
- 2011 Drawn to Antarctica, the Babylon Gallery, Ely
- 2012 Drawing Dance, Pavilion Dance, Bournemouth
- 2009 ArtLab, KUBE, Poole, North Road, Poole
- 2005 Artist in Residence, West Dean College, Chichester
- 2010 THE BOOKSHELF co-curator and event manager, The Lighthouse, Poole, Dorset
Competitions, prizes and awards
- 2012 EX LAB/ DVA Action Research Bursary, Exploratory Laboratory, Jurassic Coast
- 2008 Open Art Competition. 2nd Prize, Town Mill, Lyme Regis
- 2008 The Art of Water, Southampton City Art Gallery Open Exhibition 2008, Southampton City Art Gallery
- 2008 First Prize. IN HOUSE gallery staff exhibition, Pallant House Gallery, Chichester
- 2006 Second Prize, The Royal Bath and West Show, Shepton Mallet
- 2011 MATTER ARISING
- 2009 Drawn to Antarctica (ISBN 978-0-9562647-0-1)
Web links - gallery/work/projects