Using both ceramics and textiles I make large installation pieces, 2D relief work as well as a range of jewellery, these pieces vary in scale, technique and process.
By recycling fabrics and examining everyday objects I create organic looking pieces that contain remnants of the man made. Showing the age of the materials and by combining them with porcelain and silks I alter the way they are perceived.
My work shows a massive collection of techniques including embroidery, shibori, scorching, stitching, braiding, dyeing, appliqué, construction, casting, throwing and hand building. This range allows me to add a variety of layers when combining steel, fabric and clay as well as offering instant variety in scale, texture and shape. My main influences include: age, decay and life experiences.
Qualifications and training
- 2013 Masters in Teaching and Learning, Cumbria University, Cumbria
- 2013 Masters in Teaching and Learning, Cumbria University, STC
- 2009 Graduate Teacher Training, GTP, Northumbria Uni, STC
- 2007 MA Contemporary Applied Arts, Cumbria Institute of The Arts, Carlisle
- 2006 PGCE post 16 course, Carlisle College, Carlisle (more info)
- 2004 1st Hon Contemporary Applied Arts, Cumbria Institute of the Arts, Carlisle
- 2012 Head of Expressive Arts, Southfield Technology College, Workington, Cumbria
- 2007 Teacher of Art and Design, Southfield Technology College and Workington 6th Form, Workington
Competitions, prizes and awards
- 2012 2011 Young artist of the Year 3rd Prize, Premio Valcellina Award, Maniago, Italy