I graduated from Birmingham Institute of Art and Design in 2004 with a First Class Honours Degree in Fine Art. As a multidisciplinary artist, my work is always concept led and revolves around research into both local and family history. I am fascinated by objects, people and places which might otherwise be ignored or overlooked.
I use heavyweight cotton rag paper as a support for my paintings - employing strong lines and distorted perspective to reference the illusive nature of personal memory. I studied ceramics earlier in life and this is reflected in the manipulation of the painted surface, building paint layer by layer before scratching back and reworking.
My sculptural pieces and installations are also paper based, using recycled books or specialist paper to create a broad spectrum of work from paper hats, which celebrate the lives of individuals, to larger installations created from cast paper or single edition artist's books.
Qualifications and training
- 2004 BA (Hons) Fine Art (1st Class), Birmingham Institute of Art and Design, Birmingham
- 2013 'Looking at the Overlooked', Lyme Regis Museum, Bridge Street, Lyme Regis, Dorset.
- 2005 Floating, Bubbenhall House, Warwickshire
- 2013 Brief Art, Hestercombe Gardens, Somerset
- 2012 20 x 20, Gloss Gallery, 1 Barnfield Crescent, Exeter.
- 2012 Art in the Ark, The Ark Conference Centre, Basingstoke., Basingstoke, Hants.
- 2012 Lyme Regis Artsfest, Various venues around Lyme Regis, Lyme Regis, Dorset
- 2012 PopUp Dorset, St. Georges Church., Portland, Dorset.
- 2012 South West 7, Eype Centre for the Arts, Eype, Dorset
- 2012 Jubilee exhibition, Town Mill Gallery, Lyme Regis
- 2006 Arts at Coombe, Coombe Country Park Visitor Centre, Warwickshire
- 2006 Quest - The Artist as Pilgrim, OVADA in partnership with The Ashmolean, Oxford
- 2006 The Painted Pot - group show, Newport Museum and Art Gallery, Newport, South Wales
- 2005 Grid 15, The Grid, Warwickshire
- 2005 Re-invent - Group show for emerging artists, Oxford Visual Arts Development Agency, Oxford
- 2004 Targetmasters - BIAD Graduate Show, Birmingham Institute of Art and Design, Birmingham
- 2012 Papercasting, Lyme Regis Museum, Dorset
- 2013 Papertrace Project for re:collection, Lyme Regis ArtsFest & Lyme Regis Museum, Dorset