I am interested in the realisation of eternal form. The rhythms and patterns, harmony and balance inherent in nature are my guide. I am interested in creating works which contain and reflect these qualities, and which unite the human soul in this dance.
My approach relates to the Eastern Artistic perspective: Inspiration lies with the rhythm of the 'cosmic life'.
In Taoist landscape painting all elements are there in order to emphasise by contrast the void. In my practice the elements, predominantly figurative, are also played out against a luminous void. I try to depersonalise the figure so as to make a general archetypal statement about the soul and its position within the cosmic order.
I relate strongly to Cezanne's later series of drawings, entitled 'Bathers', where the figures become internalised spiritual beings which are closely interwoven with the natural phenomena about them.
Brancusi stated, 'The Greatest Happiness is the contact between our essence and the eternal essence.' It is this contact with and embodiment of 'eternal principles' that is my goal.
My work spans Eastern and Western perspectives, combining observational drawing techniques, glazing and sfumato, and geometry. I continue to experiment with different methods and processes in order to most effectively capture the vision I have.
It is my belief that 'art' has the potential to bring people with an accelerated efficiency to an awareness of themselves and of life. It is my intention to fulfil this role as an artist.
Qualifications and training
- 2000 PGCE Art and Design - Secondary, Middlesex University, Middlesex
- 1997 BA(Hons) Visual Arts First Class, Lancaster University, Lancaster
- 2013 Louise Payne and Diane Lawrenson, Royal Cambrian Academy, Conwy
- 2011 Visions of Greenness, Gwynedd Museum and Art Gallery, Bangor
- 2010 Pre-Sense, Wales London Centre, London
- 2010 Mediumship, :The Studio:, Aberystwyth
- 2009 Reverie, Alpine Cafe and Gallery, Betws-y-coed
- 2007 New Works, The Alpine Cafe Gallery, Betws y-coed
- 2006 Silence, Llwyngwril Gallery, Llwyngwril (more info)
- 2006 Voices of Silence, Theatr Ardudwy, Harlech
- 2010 Parallax, La Galleria, Pall Mall, London
- 2009 The Kyffin Williams Drawing Prize, Oriel Kyffin Williams, Llangefni, Anglesey
- 2008 Wales Portrait Award, Travelling Exhibition, Venues across Wales
- 2006 ART NORTH WALES Summer Exhibition, Oriel Plas Glyn y Weddw, Llanbedrog, Pwllheli
- 2006 Welsh Artist of The Year, St. David's Hall, Cardiff
- 2006 Group Exhibition, Redbill Gallery, Deeside
- 2005 The Welsh Contemporary Art Fair 2005, Snowdon Mill, Porthmadog
- 2004 Summer Exhibition, Tabernacle, Machynlleth, Wales
- 1997 Northern Graduates, The Business Art Galleries, London
Competitions, prizes and awards
- 1996 Scholarship for travel and materials, Fylde College, Lancaster University
Educational experience - primary
- 2007 Book Project, Bryncrug Primary School, Bryncrug, Nr Tywyn, Wales
Educational experience - secondary
- 2005 Art Workshop Leader, Tywyn Secondary School, Tywyn, Gwynedd, Wales
- 2012 Elected Member of the Royal Cambrian Academy, RCA, Conwy