My journey as an artist began when I gave up my business in 1990 and began to paint. In 1998 I graduated with a First Class BA with Related Arts with Honours. I have exhibited mainly in the South of England and have particular interest in the 'art and health' as well as 'art and faith arena'. I am represented by 'The art collective' in London who take me to Artfairs and other venues accross the country.
I aim to create moody and mysterious paintings highly charged with emotional content, to take me and the viewer to a place beneath the surface. My subjects are a vehicle for compositional starting points always with the intention of progressing beyond, into subjective abstraction, intentional ambiguity and material presence.
Recently I’m also preoccupied with walking and painting local Brighton seashores but the aim remains the same; to capture something between and beyond what is seen, into the unseen.
As a materials led artist I work intuitively, choosing instinctively and compulsively from diverse materials and processes. I build, layer, scrape back and rework until I find rich surface textures and intangible qualities I am powerfully drawn towards. Whilst being led to use a predominantly muted palette and contrasting lights and darks, I work towards producing sensitive pieces which are meditative, thought prevoking and mobilise emotions.
Current and forthcoming events
- June 2013: An Artist's Journey, Southwick Christian Community CHURCH, Brighton (more info)
- June 2013: Affordable Artfair, The Affordable, Hampstead Heath (more info)
- 2012 The Art Collective, The Affordable artfair, Hampstead (more info)
Qualifications and training
- 2000 Printmaking postgraduate course, Northbrook College, Worthing
- 1998 Fine Art 1st Class Honours Degree, University Chichester, Chichester
- 2010 Art and health, Doctors Surgery, Hove
- 2013 The Tobacco Factory, The Tobacco Factory, Bristol (more info)
- 2012 Little Wonder, St.Anne's Galleries, Lewes (more info)
- 2012 The Big One, Lauderdale House, Highgate, London
- 2012 The Big One, Lauderdale House, Highgate (more info)
- 2012 'Earthworks' 3 man show St.Anne's Galleries, St Anne's Galleries, 111 High Street, Lewes, East Sussex. BN7 1XY, Lewes (more info)
- 2012 Selected group show, Bellis Gallery, Brighton
- 2009 'Art liberating lives', Mall Galleries, London (more info)
- 2012 Earth Works. 3 man show, St.Anne's Galleries. wwwstannesgalleries.com, Lewes
- 2011 Outsidein open art competition, Wellington House, Brighton
- 2008 My artistic Journey with images to illustrate, The Fountain Centre, Patcham, Brighton
- 2004 Talk and presentation, Disability Arts Development Agency, Sussex
- 2001 Rehabilitation art worshops, Court Garden Studios, Hove
Competitions, prizes and awards
- 2012 Prize Winner. Kress Project with Georgia Museum of Art, Georgia Museum of Art, US
- 2002 Development of new work, ' Art and Health project', funding award, Arts Council, Brighton