I am essentially concerned with the exploration of paint onto canvas and my relationship to it, its application and the dynamics thereof. Working with the process of addition and subtraction, movement, memory and energy, while evolving a series of paintings concurrently.
I feel one of the many roles of an artist is to challenge peoples points of perception and to present different ways of seeing things in order for one to assume reponsibility for ones own thoughts & actions. If we are constantly drip fed images which are 'comfortable' we eventually stop 'seeing' and therefore stop thinking. In that sense, although my practice is working on a very subtle level they can be cosidered politcal & indeed have been used as a sounding block for such discussions. The paintings although working through the medium of energy,movement and memory allow freedom of expression and in some senses appear confrontational and challenging.
My paintings are a record of my journey through time and my connection to both my external & internal landscape.
My working drawings, along with my sketchbooks are a vital part of my creative process allowing freedom of mark making without self-conciousness. The fluid energy created through these drawings are crucial to my practice and help me stay connected to the paintings that i am wotking on,helping me move forward in their development. Through the rapidity and reptitiveness of the mark making, the element of movement through time occurs. By focusing on the abstract and eliminating the figurative or narrative i am trying to capture the beauty of the marks.
With the installation of working drawings and those in my sketchbooks, comes the realisation that drawings do not have to be contained and that they can, like the paintings, have a very physical and emotional presence and in that sense can be confrontational.
- 2013 SOLO EXHIBITION:(May 2013), The Linenhall Art Centre, Castlebar, County Mayo, Southern Ireland.
- 2010 'MARKING TIME' : Solo Exhibition, Gracefield Arts Centre, Dumfries (more info)
- 2002 "VAL D'OR'', Gracefield Art Centre, Dumfries
- 2000 The David Davies Company, Kendal
- 2012 ''THE SKETCHBOOK PROJECT'', Brooklyn Library., New York (Touring U.S.A)
- 2011 SKETCH 2011: National selected sketchbook exhibition, Rabley Drawing Centre, Wiltshire,England.
- 2010 'THE MOMENT OF PRIVACY HAS PASSED', Usher gallery, Lincoln
- 2010 'SPRING FLING', Open Studio, Dumfries (annual)
- 2010 CORMAN ARTS, Daleham Gardens, London
- 2005 20/20, Gracefield Art Centre, Dumfries, Scotland
- 2005 The Pond Gallery, London
- 2004 CAMPDEN GALLERY, Stratford- upon -Avon, U.K
- 2004 THE CUBE GALLERY, Bristol, U.K
- 2004 ART CO., Leeds, U.K
- 2000 TRANSNATIONAL TOURING EXHIBITION, Pallazzo Da Vullo Nel Frigano, Italy:Brittany,France:The Crawford Arts Centre Scotland:The Gracefield Arts Centre,Dumfries,Scotland.
- 1999 "LA FIAD'', Art And Interior Decor Exhibition, Beirut
- 1999 ''SION'', Rennes, France
- 1998 ''THE LIME GALLERY'', Laguna Beach, U.S.A
- 2010 'MARKING TIME' Gallery Talk by Bea Last, Gracefield Arts Centre, Dumfries (more info)
- 2010 'MARKING TIME'. Bea Last in conversation., Gracefield Arts Centre, Dumfries,Scotland.
- 2005 SPRING -FLING OPEN STUDIOS, WEST-SOUND RADIO., DUMFRIES
- 2000 THE POWER OF COLOUR, CAIRNDALE HOTEL, DUMFRIES
- 2012 Sketchbook Workshop, Studio 4,Lochdougan House., Castle Douglas,Dumfries & Galloway
- 2010 Sketchbook Surgery, Gracefield Arts Centre, Dumfries,Scotland
- 2010 Sketchbook surgery, Gracefield Arts Centre, Dumfries (more info)
- 2012 Private Residency, ART ACUMEN, LONDON
- 2011 THE BRITISH ART PROJECT, the Corinthia Hotel,, London
- 2010 DOKKAE PROJECT, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
- 2009 FULL CIRCLE ART CONSULTANCY, London, /U.S.A
- 2008 CLUB QUARTERS HOTEL, Central Loop,Chicago,Illanois,, U.S.A
- 2007 EDL ASSOCIATES, Atlanta,Georgia,, U.S.A
- 2005 BALLEYMORE PROPERTIES, Canary Wharf,London,, U.K
- 2004 REUTERS, London,, U.K
- 2004 LOGICA (MICROSOFT), London, U.K
Competitions, prizes and awards
- 2012 THE SCOTTISH ARTS TRUST 2012/13, Creative Scotland., Edinburgh.Scotland.
- 2012 VISUAL ARTS DEVELOPMENT AWARD:CABN 2011/12, Dumfries., Scotland.
- 2011 SKETCH 2011:National selected sketchbook exhibition, Rabley Drawing Centre, Wiltshire,England.
- 2009 VISUAL ARTS DEVELOPMENT AWARD, Creative Scotland in partnership with D&G Council, Scotland
- 1996 INSPIRATIONS FROM SCOTLAND, ANCHOR BOOKS, LONDON
- 1989 STYLUS BOOK AWARD, PORTER HOUSE BOOKS, LONDON
- 2010 ArtWork Newspaper.sept/oct issue
- 2008 Artwork newspaper,nov/dec issue
- 2007 HOMES & ANTIQUES. MAY ISSUE.
- 2006 PICTURE PERFECT: STEPHANIE HOPPEN
- 2005 SCOTLAND ON SUNDAY NEWSPAPER.
- 2012 Mentoring HND Art & Design & HND photography students., Dumfries College. The Chrichton Campus,University of Glasgow., Dumfries
- 1999 LIGHT LUNCH, CHANNEL 4 TELEVISION, LONDON
Web links - gallery/work/projects
Web links - article/press