My work is largely concerned with form and the development of 3-D spaces which challenge the senses, including memory and emotion. My work divides into two strands - 1) landscape architecture, site-specific, land art; 2) domestic scale sculpture in stone and willow. In my designs of outdoor spaces/public art I am keen to celebrate the uniqueness of place and am influenced by the 3-D form of the place, its history, and cultural context. I have been responsible for the design of several urban spaces in the public realm in London and the South-West, which have involved the creation of new spaces along with the detailed design of sculptural elements, e.g.. seating, lighting, banners, bollards, paving, outdoor performance spaces. In my work at Swanage Central Square and Seafront (1993-00) the strong identity of the town and its links to the local stone and fishing trade were the main influence on the development of individual designs/pieces. In the installation Shoot/Wave at Dorset County Hospital (2002) I responded to the specific external environment and landform to create an enclosure around a hollow in the ground using willow to create a new encircling space within a space. My domestic scale pieces are largely constructed of stone, willow, and other natural organic materials. My work is strongly influenced by nature and the concepts of fertility, birth, death, and rebirth. The pieces are aesthetic in form; some are functional but that isn't their main purpose. I feel that form is the most important part of my work; form reflecting natural forms in nature. The development of the woven pieces reflects the creative process of planting, coppicing, harvesting and weaving throughout the changing seasons. My work has become a medium for the interaction with nature, which is deeply personal.
Artistic, cultural, sustainability issues
I trained as a Landscape Architect in 1983 and have subsequently worked on a variety of public urban space projects in London and the South-West. My role on these projects has been both as landscape architect and artist, and has involved the overall conceptual design of urban squares, outdoor performance spaces, urban parks, riverside walkways, and seafront promenades. I have also been responsible for the detail design of sculptural elements/ pieces within the spaces. Three of the projects I have been responsible for have won national design awards. In 2002 I gained a further qualification in Urban Design to complement my post-graduate diploma in Landscape Architecture. In 2002, I became artist in residence at Dorset County Hospital, Dorchester, Dorset, for a period of 3 months and this involved the development of a land art installation within the hospital grounds. Since 1990 I have also worked on small-scale sculptural pieces in both stone, willow and other natural materials. In 2001 I exhibited my work in this area for the first time. Since then, my work has been selected for several exhibitions throughout the South-West and nationally. I am a chartered member of the Landscape Institute, the Landscape and Art Network, the Basketmakers Association, Contemporary Applied Arts, London, and the Devon Guild of Craftsmen. I am currently working in my own practice as a landscape architect and environmental artist.
I undertake residencies and commissions for site-specific installations in which the importance of form and context are paramount. Some commissions include working with the local community in both the concept development and installation.
Recent such commissions have included two installations along the Wessex Ridgeway; “Union” an installation within a young woodland; “Fallen Apples” an installation within a community orchard as part of the Creative Footsteps Project along the Wessex Ridgeway; an installation created specifically for the frontage of the new Crafts Study Centre building at the University of Creative Arts at Farnham; “Shoot/Wave” an installation at Dorset County Hospital as part of the Arts in Hospital Programme; and a community arts commission for artsNK, Lincolnshire.
- 2009 Members Showcase, Devon Guild, Bovey Tracey, Devon
- 2009 Enjoy The Earth Gently, Black Swan Arts, Frome, Somerset
- 2009 Vessel and Seed, Walford Mill, Wimborne, Dorset
- 2011 Present Collectables, Contemporary Applied Arts, London
- 2011 Baskets, Ruthin Gallery, Ruthin, Denbighshire
- 2011 Silver Thread, Devon Guild, Bovey Tracey, Devon
- 2011 Close to Nature, New Brewery Arts, Cirencester, Glos.
- 2010 Sea Light, Sladers Yard Gallery, West Bay, Dorset
- 2010 Art Loan Collection, University of Bournemouth, Dorset
- 2010 Stroud International Textile Festival, Stroud, Glos.
- 2009 Fresh Air, Quenington, Glos.
- 2009 Cup, Devon Guild, Bovey Tracey, Devon
- 2008 Black Swan Arts Open, Black Swan Arts, Frome, Somerset
- 2007 Summer Exhibition, Bowlish Gallery, Somerset
- 2007 Urban Field, Contemporary Applied Arts, London
- 2006 Take me Home, Contemporary Applied Arts, London
- 2006 Pushing the Boundaries, Touring Exhibition, Scotland and England
- 2006 Dorset Art Weeks, Open Studios, Dorset
- 2006 Earthbound, Bridport Arts Centre, Dorset
- 2005 Exhibition, The Biscuit Factory, Newcastle
- 2005 Get Fresh 2, Devon Guild, Bovey Tracey, Devon
- 2004 Dorset Art Week, Dorset
- 2004 Elemental Insight, The Meteorological Office
- 2004 Art of Craft, venues in Dorset and Norfolk
- 2004 Art in the Garden, Romsey Hants
- 2004 Otterton Mill, Devon
- 2004 Elemental Insight, Devon Guild, Bovey Tracey, Devon
- 2004 Elemental Insight, BBC, Wood Lane, London
- 2003 Get Fresh, Devon Guild of Craftsmen, Bovey Tracey, Devon
- 2003 Farming Matters, Artsreach, Dorset
- 2003 Garden Inspiration, Walford Mill Gallery, Wimborne, Dorset
- 2003 Modern Makers, Study Gallery, Poole, Dorset
- 2003 Ground Cover, Devon Guild of Craftsmen, Bovey Tracey, Devon
- 2003 Mythic Garden Annual, Chagford, Devon
- 2003 Round the Garden, Scaplens Court, Poole, Dorset
- 2003 Platform Gallery, Clitheroe, Lancs
- 2003 Atrium Gallery, Bournemouth University, Dorset
- 2002 Construction, Walford Mill Gallery, Wimborne, Dorset
- 2002 Mythic Garden Annual, Chagford, Devon
- 2002 Christmas Feast, Walford Mill Gallery, Wimborne, Dorset
- 2002 Christmas Show, Sherborne House, Sherborne, Dorset
- 2002 Land, Artsway, Sway, Hants
- 2001 Arts in Hospital Christmas Show, Sherborne
- 2001 Bridport Open Art, Bridport, Dorset
- 2001 The Old Warehouse Gallery, Dorchester, Dorset
- 1997 Bridport Open Art, Bridport, Dorset
- 1996 Bridport Open Art, Bridport, Dorset
- 1994 Lost Heritage Exhibition, Weymouth, Dorset
- 2004 Making Space, Staunton Country Park, Hants.
- 2003 Art in The Garden, Hilliers Garden, Hants.
- 2011 Collection, Wellbeing Centre, Bournemouth University, Dorset
- 2008 Fragments, Arts NK, North Hykeham Community Centre, Lincoln, Lincs.
- 2006 Creative Footsteps, Artsreach, Dorset
- 2004 Willow Installation, Crafts Study Centre, UCA Farnham, Surrey
- 2003 Art of Craft, Artsreach, Dorset
- 2002 Shoot/Wave, Dorset County Hospital, Dorchester, Dorset