"My influences are from all things natural and with the Zen-like philosophy that 'less is more', I shed extraneous material to express the essence of Nature's energy and refine interpretations of my experiences and emotions, using pewter metal as my chosen medium.
Living on the sea for some years, the elements and the environment, their moods and contrasts are interpreted in my abstract work. Illumination animates the sensuous undulating forms and mark-making so that when passing by, light appears on the surface but is gone the next - it is ethereal and resembles transient and delicate qualities in the balance of the natural world.
The metal is to some degree reflective and can be seen as a metaphor for self-examination - our own image seen agiainst that of nature, her essence portrayed by the simple lines and forms. In making this primal scream on nature's behalf, my work is replete with feeling, hoping it will kindle awareness of our ruthless treatment and devaluation of the environment.
Our continued disregard is having unimagined consequences. We are natural products and yet like the light our empathy with nature as a vulnerable entity, waxes and wanes - a post industrial whim or a dangerous fact? In this mode I use a universal language which is devoid of cultural reference to recognise nature's fight and promote a review of her form and beauty, whilst celebrating her pure creative energy and amazing ability to regenerate."
Environmental concerns. Abstract and semi-abstract mark-making with emotional content and interpretation from natural forms and experience, imagination and memory.
Environmental, interpretative, sensorial, aesthetic, functional, celebratory, monumental.
I originally trained in ceramics and worked for the Welsh craft market. I made simple brass jewellery for craft fairs in Florida. Then taught Art and Design as head of a secondary school art department. I developed methods in papier-mache, making work for theatre and festival and fulfilled a number of community projects and murals etc. I design children's play areas and other 3-D work which branches into sculpture for public art, many designs prepared. I won the Business Link South West Design competition in 1997, winning a commission to produce a number of trophies and I have since worked on other trophy commissions.
I produce fine art work in metal, and sculpture. I have developed methods which lend themselves to making beautiful functional things, some of which go into the designer/crafts market. While I look for further opportunities, I continue to make drawings and 3-D work/reliefs for exhibition.
- 2011 Melanie Guy, Royal Cornwall Hospitals Trust, Trelawny Reception, Truro
- 2011 Celtic Festival, Brittany 2011, Representing Cornwall, Lorient, Brittany, France
- 2011 Exhibition, Art at the Works, Tavistock, Devon
- 2008 Mary Newman’s Cottage, Saltash, Cornwall
- 2006 The Great Art Fair, Alexandra Palace, N. London (more info)
- 2006 All Over the Wall for Architecture Week - interior wall panels, 'Harlequin' at Inscape, Launceston, Cornwall
- 2001 Saltmill Frames Project, Plymouth, Touring, Groundwork
- 2012 “Le Temps des Sirènes” 3rd Biennale Internationale des Femmes, Le Marie, Larmor-Plage, Brittany
- 2012 PEWTER LIVE 2012 & 2013, Pewterers Hall, City of London
- 2011 PEWTER LIVE, Peweterer's Hall, London
- 2011 ‘RECEIVED WISDOM’, Arlington Arts Centre, Newbury, Newbury, Berks
- 2011 Dartmouth Contemporary Arts, Buckfast Abbey, Buckfastleigh, Devon
- 2011 21st Century FurnitureIII - wall hangings, Millinery Works, Islington
- 2011 PLYMOUTH SOCIETY ARTISTS, Plymouth Museum & Art Gallery, Plymouth, Devon
- 2011 DESIGNER CRAFTS 2011, Mall Galleries, London
- 2010 OPEN STUDIOS-Drawn to the Valley, The Gallery, Climson, Stoke Climsland, Cornwall
- 2009 PEWTER LIVE, Butcher Works, Sheffield
- 2009 WAYS WITHOUT WORDS, Dartington College of the Arts, Totnes, Devon
- 2009 1984, Kowalsky Gallery, DESIGNER & ARTISTS COPYRIGHT SOCIETY, London
- 2008 DESIGNER CRAFTS AT THE MALL 2008, Mall Galleries, London (more info)
- 2007 Christmas Exhibition, SDC Gallery, Rivington Street, Shoreditch (more info)
- 2007 155 Autumn Exhibition, Royal West of England Academy, Queens Road, Clifton, Bristol (more info)
- 2012 SPLASH Artists Trail, Falmouth Arts Festival 2012, Events Square, Falmouth, Cornwall
- 2009 PEWTER LIVE at Galvanize Festival, Butcher Works, Academy of Makers, Arundel Street, Sheffield
- 2009 ‘1984’, Kowalsky Gallery, Designer & Artists Copywrite Society, 33 Great Sutton Street London EC1V 0DX
- 2006 Drawn to the Valley, Cube3 Gallery, Plymouth University, Plymouth
- 2006 Drawn to the Valley, Saltram House Gallery, Plymouth
- 2006 Touring Exhibition of Wesley-Barrell Craft Awards - Shortlist, at Wesley-Barrell stores & Crafts Council's 'Origins' in autumn, London, Bristol, Manchester, 'Origins' at Somerset House
- 2012 Pewter - mark-making, Falmouth Art Gallery, Cornwall
- 2013 Melanie Guy, High Cross House, Dartington, Devon
- 2009 'TEN', Bilston Craft Gallery, Wolverhampton
- 2012 LIFE, Royal Cornwall Hospitals Trust, Treliske Hospital, Truro
- 2005 Design for 'Enterprising Plymouth' ' trophies, Force 4, Plymouth, Devon
- 2004 Trophies & designs for 'Business Challenge 2004, Force 4, Plymouth, St Mellion Golf Club
- 2001 Mike Smith Award trophies, Xerox, Wellyn Garden City
Competitions, prizes and awards
- 2011 PEWTER LIVE-Patricia & Alexander Neish Award, Pewterers' Hall, City of London
- 2006 Wesley-Barrell Craft Awards - shortlist, Wesley-Barrell in association with Crafts Council, National touring exhibition