The focus of my work between 1998 and 2003 was the relationship of installation theory and practice to museums, specifically museums of science and natural history. The contention was that museums are installations - works of imagination. This enables such objective institutions to be interrogated for their connections to themes of memory, loss, and melancholy. The research drew on a wide field of reference, beginning with the critique of the museum as institution and ending with the ruin of the museum as a cultural and personal metaphor.
The work since 2003 develops the above central ideas and draws on both the history and philosophy of the natural sciences, museums and scientific institutions, and on how history leaves traces that can be discerned in multiple contexts. These themes are addressed via installations within which are placed optical ‘devices’ of lenses, mirrors, and lights with integral video and photographic slides.
The videos are explicitly non-narrative, fragments that enable cross connections with no imposed linear structure. This video is mediated via the lenses and mirrors within the devices, and this in turn makes the viewer aware of their relationship with the video imagery - the devices providing one optimum viewing position. In like manner, the photographic slides are unclear (uncertain is the term I prefer) and the end result of the mechanism of projection rather than a stand-alone image.
Since 2007 my research has included a questioning stance towards the European Enlightenment perspective of the world with specific regard to the Far East – a term that itself illustrates this point. The work examines contemporary readings of culture and history alongside the critical examination of Eurocentric perspectives.
- 2011 Study Void, Ox Warehouse, Macao
- 2010 The Problem of Knowledge 2, Taipei National University of the Arts, Taipei, Taiwan
- 2009 Institute, Plan 9, Bristol, UK
- 2008 Through a Glass Uncertainly, Dartington Gallery, Dartington College of Arts, UK
- 2007 A Sense of Wonder and the Problem of Knowledge, Ginza Art Lab and Koiwa Project Space, Tokyo, Japan
- 2005 Mnemosyne, Derby Museum and Art Gallery, Derby, UK
- 2001 The Archive of Lost Knowledge, The Yard Gallery, Wollaton Hall, Nottingham
- 2000 ordinary facts arranged within time, Bonington Gallery, Nottingham
- 1996 Traces, South Trafford College, Manchester
- 1996 Lost/ Found The Glass Box Gallery, Salford
- 1995 23 August 1994 Skillion Warehouse, Liverpool
- 1993 My Subject is War, Williamson Art Gallery, Birkenhead
- 2011 10 x 10, Taipei Artist Village, Taipei, Taiwan
- 2004 Airborne System mode, Ox Warehouse, Macau, China
- 2000 The Box Project, The Museum of Installation, London and Tour
- 2000 Brief Encounter, Melbourne, Austrailia
- 2000 Raid, Derby, various sites
- 1997 Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, The Doctor Duncan Exhibition, Museum of Liverpool Life
- 1995 Group Exhibition, Bluecoat Gallery, Liverpool
- 1995 Group Exhibition, Mream, Melbourne, Australia
- 1994 Group Exhibition, Winchester Gallery, Winchester
- 2011 Young Designers Workshop, Kun Shan University, Tainan, Taiwan
- 2011 International Fellowship, Taipei Artist Village, Taipei, Taiwan
- 2010 Artist Residency, Taipei National University of the Arts, Taipei, Taiwan