The use of landscape and the relationship between our surroundings and ourselves is a continuous thread running through my work, with the influence of aerial views and maps prominent within my paintings.
Manipulating paper maps and combining them with an elevated perspective the landscapes I map back onto the canvas offer new and contorted views. And whilst the paintings emulate a picturesque quality depicted in landscape painting they are now void of identifiable landmarks, communicating only in cartographical characteristics. The more recent paintings create a surface where identity is embedded within the paint and is subsequently revealed and explored through the surface of line and colour.
Combining traditions of landscape painting with cartography the work continues to explore and re-visit my fascination with the map and my surroundings and leads me to question the connection between them and the relationship between myself as a painter and location.
I graduated from the Royal College of Art with an MA in Painting in 1999. Previous to that I completed a BA in Fine Art at Norwich School of Art and Design in 1997.
- 2012 Get Carta, Karin Janssen Project Space, London
- 2011 UNEARTHED-the creative history of a brownfield site, Warton House, Stratford, London
- 2011 Radicals and Non-Conformists, Studio Gallery, NPG, London
- 2009 The London Group Open Exhibition, Menier Gallery, London (more info)
- 2009 Summer Exhibition, The Architect's Gallery, London
- 2009 Creekside Open, APT Gallery, London
- 2008 Unnatural Worlds: Drawings by Emma Williams and Akiko Usami, Casson Gallery, Eastbourne College, Eastbourne (more info)
- 2007 Rich and Strange: Altered Books Project, Flock, Newport School of Art Media and Design, University of Wales, Newport (more info)
- 2007 Salon 07, Seven Seven Gallery, London (more info)
- 2007 Mapping, Bury Art Gallery and Museum, Bury (more info)
- 2006 Gallery 37, DMH Stallard, Jewry St, London EC3
- 2006 ArtSway Open, ArtSway, Sway (more info)
- 2006 24London, Berlin, Milan and Barcelona, Berlin, Milan and Barcelona (more info)
- 2006 Sefton Open, The Atkinson Art Gallery, Southport (more info)
- 2006 Hidden Talents 06, National Portrait Gallery, St Martin's Place, London (more info)
- 2006 The Art Pavilion Summer Show, Mile End Park, London
- 2006 Summer Open, Wateloo Gallery, London
- 2005 Summer Open, Waterloo Gallery, London
- 2005 30x30, Vertigo Gallery, London
- 2003 Well-made 3, Old Town Hall, Stratford, London
- 2003 The map is not the territory part III, James Hockney Gallery, Farnham, Surrey
- 2002 The map is not the territory part II, England and Co, London
- 2002 Art 2002 London Art Fair, Business Design Centre, London
- 2001 Summer in the City, Artlink at Sotheby's International Young Art, Online auction
- 2001 Sefton Open, The Atkinson Gallery, Southport
- 2001 Slap and Tickle, Vertigo Gallery, London
- 2000 En Route, Galerie Claudia Gross-Selbeck, Dusseldorf, Germany
Web links - gallery/work/projects