'I teach technique led, explorative art as a means of empowering and inspiring children. By demonstrating how they can explore their thoughts and emotions through art, and then demonstrating how those artworks can be used to permanent effect in the school/wider community - this can be a permanent sculpture, garden design, change in approach to the curriculum.'
Environment and ecology, nature.
I am an experienced sculptor, gardener and garden designer. In my work, I use all three disciplines and aim to better understand how sculptures can be integrated into, and combined with,landscape/Garden design –and used to effect in the community. This was also the theme of my recent M.A. I currently live in North Essex, but travel across Great Britain and France, working with communities to produce site specific art:
'I enjoy meeting new people and exploring new landscapes, I find that I am constantly challenged and stimulated and I hope that my work reflects that.'
I enjoy working with children of all ages because they remind me of why I became an artist: watching the joy on a child's face when they manage to join two pieces of wire together, or make a 3D artwork for the first time, watching them explore colours and shapes, and most importantly watching them realise the possibilities of those artworks. I also enjoy the challenge of making permanent changes to school curriculums, and working with teachers, in an equal partnership, to help pupils see how art is relevant to their lives and surroundings, and can be used in a practical way to inspire children to explore and learn.
- 2007 Chantiers D’Arts ‘Mon Arbre’ Sculpture residency and commission, Le Mairie, Cunlhat, France
- 2006 Sentier Sculpturel, Association Heresies, Mayronnes, France
- 2005 Chantiers D’arts ‘Gargouilles’ Sculpture residency and commision, Le Mairie, Cunlhat, France.
- 2011 ‘The Old Inside The New: Peterborough’s Hospital Heritage’ – Working in partnership with Lisa Temple-Cox. Wall mounted sculpture exploring historical images, text and memories., Peterborough City Hospital, Peterborough
- 2011 ‘Inside Out’ - designing and making a large-scale work of environmental art to be sited at Anglesey Abbey, Cambridgeshire. Working with The Croft Child & Family Unit. Commissioned, Anglesey Abbey, Cambridge
- 2010 Skrik, Small Garden, Hampton Court Palace Flower 2010, Bronze medal awarded
- 2009 ‘The Future’ – Sculptural learning resources for primary school pupils, North Primary School, Colchester, Essex
- 2009 WW1 The Northamptonshire Regiment – learning resources, combining sculpture and artifacts, for secondary school pupils, Northampton Museum & Art Gallery, Northampton
- 2006 Pathways to recovery—Creating kitchen garden & sculptures. Campbell Centre,, Milton Keynes General NHS Trust., Milton Keynes
- 2006 Port Vale Community Garden—Creating landscaped area and sculptures, Courtyard Arts Centre, Hertford
- 2006 'Sound Pods' Sculpture Commission & Sensory Sculpture Commission, Essex County Essex, Watt Tyler Sculpture Park, Pitsea, Essex
- 2004 'Nautilus' Sculpture Commission & Garden Design, St. Giles C of E Primary School, Gt. Maplestead, Essex.
Educational experience - early years
- 2005 Sculpture commissions & associated workshops, Woodside First School, Norwich, Norfolk
Educational experience - primary
- 2011 ‘1,2,3 Maths Garden’ – working with Y5 pupils to design & build a garden and garden sculptures., St. Andrews Primary School, Marks Tey, Essex
- 2011 ‘Creative Connections: How can we use the senses to explore & improve our school? working with Y5 pupils to produce a sensory kit for the classroom . Commissioned by ROH., Gyllgrove Primary School, Basildon
- 2010 Imagineers, Working with pupils to design & build a storytellers hut in school grounds.St Mary's Catholic Primary School, Grantham
- 2010 The Secret Room, Creating temporary interiors within the school to inspire and excite future learning. All Saints CEVAP School, Laxfield, Suffolk.
- 2009 'Sawston Hall - A walk through time', Event exploring text and sculpture, Bellbird Primary school & Sawston community groups, Sawston, Cambs.
- 2008 ‘Homes’ Delivering a creative learning programme across the curriculum. YR, 1 & 2, St. Paul's C of E Combined School, Wooburn Green, Bucks
- 2008 ArC 2008 Art reflecting citizenship—making changes to your school grounds, Y2 Kendall Primary School & Y3/4, Monkwick Primary School, Colchester, Essex
- 2007 Handling Emotions, St. Osyth Primary School, St. Oysth, Essex (more info)
- 2007 ArC 2007 Art reflecting citizenship, Cherry Tree Primary School, Colchester, Essex (more info)
- 2006 ArC 2006 Art reflecting citizenship, CSN Consultancy & Firstsite, St. Johns Green Primary School, Colchester, Essex
- 2005 Echoing the Garden—development of school grounds through workshops and installations. Year 2,4 & 5 pupils,, Bramley Grange Primary School, Bramley, South Yorkshire
- 2005 Growing Theme—Developing school grounds through Garden Design & Geography. Year 5 pupils, Oyster Park Junior School, Castleford, South Yorkshire
- 2005 Landscape, sustainability, materials, processes, Llandaff Church of Wales Primary School, Cardiff, South Wales
Educational experience - secondary
- 2009 The Green Room Project, Working with Y7 pupils to design and build a woodland walk using maths, DT & Geography . Bexhill High School., Bexhill on Sea, East Sussex
- 2005 Landscape, sustainability, materials, processes, Bishop of Llandaff Senior School, Cardiff, South Wales
- 2004 RECLAIM—Creative learning residency exploring sculptural techniques and materials, North Walsham High School, Norfolk