I'm concerned with exploring the process of drawing/mark making, around and beyond two dimensions, involving movement of place, duration of time and selection of sound and imagery. In 'Tracing Manhattan' (December 2003) I drew a line down Broadway the length of Manhattan Island, in 'Walking Drawing' (June 2004). I revisited Fulton and Long's walk to the country from Central St Martins (Charing Cross Road), to Radlett, wearing a camera and sketchbook harness, I drew and walked while documenting the process.
Trace: My fascination in the Trace began when I saw a photograph of Rio Pinturas (Chile), the paint spat outline of 6 hands on a rock waving to me over thousands of years.
"He will not have been present but he will have made a gift by not disappearing without leaving a trace. But leaving a trace is also to leave it to abandon it not to insist upon it in a sign." Derrida from "At this very moment in this work here I am" from "Re reading Levinas" Indian University press 1991
I mean to leave a trace temporarily, yet still I mean to leave a trace.
Documentation: I am more contented by life if I can have evidence, revisit my favourite moments. Perhaps I'm wallowing in the joy of recollection and find it easier to move forward if able to reflect back now and again. A way of assessing where I am where I've been where I'm going. Maybe, like Butades's daughter I'm aware of the impending loss, and need a keepsake gift for myself as solace.
Butades daughter (The story that has become known as the origin of drawing) "She (the daughter of the Potter Butades, who lived in Corinth) was in love with a young man, and when he was going abroad she drew a silhouette on the wall round the shadow of his face cast by the lamp" Michael Newman's text for Avis Newman's exhibition Catalogue (Ikon Gallery1995)
(Ana Mendieta" Silueta with Firework and Bamboo, Silueta with Gunpowder.1976
Hamish Fulton "the way to the mountain starts here" 2001.
Rebecca Horn "Pencil Mask" 1972
William Pope L "Thompson Square crawl" 1991)
What I did at College (the Royal College of Art Illustration dept) in the 80s was called Location drawing - I saw it as an opportunity to go out and be in the elements to be in the landscape and put that experience of physicality into my work - thereby endeavouring to fill my drawings with a sense of place and my exhilaration of that process. I.e.: In the Arctic I stood on a plank overhanging the ships side and painted the cracking through pack ice, in Papua New Guinea I wore a grass skirt and looked like an elephant gone bush on a coral rock island. These experiences read now as anecdotal performances 20 years ago and without documentations. Having completed an MA Fine Art Course at Central St Martins (Sept 2004), my practice is now informed with current technology and knowledge of context regarding other practitioners working in trace performance and documentation. I am currently developing proposals for site-specific works in community programmes and researching documentary projects and performance drawing works.
- 2007 Digital and Physical surfaces, Triangle Space Chelsea, London
- 2006 Trace, University of Greenwich, Stephen Lawrence Gallery
- 2006 Twelve Views, University of Northampton, Northampton
- 2006 Jerwood Drawing Prize 06, Jerwood Space, London
- 2005 The New MA and other Postgraduate contemporary art exhibition, Atkinson Gallery, Somerset
- 2005 The Shadow Cabinet, Embassey Gallery 4th Video and performance, Edinburgh College of Art Sculpture Court, Edinburgh
- 2005 Butades Shadows & Other Wild Creatures - performance drawing, Margate Rocks- Thanet Contemporary Art Festival 2005, Pharmacy Gallery, Margate
- 2005 Butades Shadows - performance drawing, Euroart05, London
- 2004 Sixty Seconds, 291 Gallery
- 2004 The Inscriptive Ferret, Dace Space
- 2004 Staged, Focal Point Gallery, Outhend
- 2002 Here, The London Institute, London
- 2001 Raw Canvas, Aldwych, London
- 1999 Tate Bankside, Tate Modern, London
- 1999 Tabernacle, Museum of Modern Art
- 2007 Stick Stamp Fly, Gasworks, London
- 2005 Getting Lost, Toynbee studios, London
- 2007 Artists international residency, Solst, Denmark
- 2007 Here Tomorrow PhD research residency, Letherby Gallery Central Saint Martins, London
- 2005 Lost Borrowed and Found - architecture week 2005, Southwark Council - drawings on Southwark Parks, London
- 2005 Drawing the Resolution - trace of Cooks ship the Resolution, Margate sands, Margate
- 2005 Idol Watching - performance drawing, Peckham Streets, South London
- 2007 Digital and Physical surfaces
- 2007 Drawing now. Between the lines of Contemporary Art
- 2006 Prints on the Run (symposium), V and A musuem, London