My art is based on ideas of existence, who we are and what makes us different to the next person. My main line of enquiry deals with how our character and identity are formed, is it genetic and passed on from our parents or is it experiential, changing over time.
The strength of my work is in the subtle allusion rather than in an obvious manner. Having a background in Fine Art – Printmaking, my underlying thoughts regarding technique originate from a printmaking sensibility. I identify with layering, exposing, concealing, building using layers, not dissimilar to the underlying facets of ones identity. I execute my concepts in a manner that is both materially appropriate and professionally/technically sound. This has included printmaking, drawing, digital print, photography, constructed objects, video and is continually developing.
Currently I am exploring notions through moving image and video art, intrigued by the physical attributes and expression of children’s games, as well as their deeper social and cultural meanings. Through video I aim to present a unique perspective of selected games, focusing in on particular gestures and actions in order to observe their beauty.
I wish to explore ideas in a non narrative structure to create ethereal works. This approach comes with influence from artists Pippilotti Rist, Bill Viola, Tony Hill and Sam Taylor-Wood.
Previous work involves a mapping of the body, referring to the common metaphor of body as landscape, prominent in the modernist dialogue on photography. Other work includes notions of identity in the sense of typical information asked for when a passport is issued, age, date of birth, place of birth etc. dual nationality. Visual information is stated, what we perceive from first meeting an individual - hair colour, build, height.
My main influences are through experience of interaction with others, their culture and geographical positions of countries and states. 2 visits that had an impact on my work and ideas were Bosnia and Switzerland where I was exhibiting and undertaking a residency. I am interested in language, regional dialects and how these relate to the geography of a land, changing across borders.
In terms of other artists influences, to name a few: Mona Hatoum, Dalziel and Scullion, Eve Hesse, Anthony Gormley, Rachel Whiteread, Bill Viola, Cy Twombly, Janine Antoni.
Having graduated from Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art in 1994 with a BA (Hons) in Fine Art Printmaking, I have spent the last 15 years working as an artist whilst lecturing at Edinburgh College of Art (2000 - 2009) and Dundee College (1999 - 2006) and providing creative workshops in galleries. In 2000 I studied for a PGCE in further and higher education at Jordanhill College, Glasgow. I have undertaken 2 international residencies in Switzerland and Vienna, also showed internationally throughout Europe and in summer 2004, Los Angeles, USA. Awards include Scottish Arts Council (1997, 1999, 2001, 2004), British Council (2001), Hope Scott Trust (2001, 2005), Arts Trust of Scotland (1999), Friends of the RSA bursary (2004) and most recently Nancy Graham Memorial Trust (2005).
Qualifications and training
- 1999 Post Graduate Certificate in Education, University of Strathclyde, Glasgow
- 1994 BA (Hons) Fine Art - Printmaking, Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art, Dundee
- 2009 Tutor, Interactive Design Institute, Midlothian
- 2005 Body Maps, Edinburgh Printmakers Workshop, Edinburgh
- 2003 Superficial or Inherent, Street Level Photoworks, Glasgow
- 2002 Superficial or Inherent, Kunstverein Rastatt, Rastatt, Germany
- 2000 Existing Bodies, Street Level Photoworks, Glasgow
- 1999 Existing Bodies, George Watsons College, Edinburgh
- 2006 Multiple Choice, Fermynwoods Contemporary Art, Brigstock
- 2004 Synaesthesia, Los Angeles Convention Centre, Los Angeles, USA
- 2004 Glasgow Art Fair, George Square, Glasgow (recurring)
- 2003 Visual Arts Scotland, Royal Scottish Academy, Edinburgh (recurring)
- 2003 Prospects - Pizza Express finalists, The Old Truman Brewery, London
- 2001 Regionale, Basel Kunsthalle, Basel, Switzerland
- 2001 Artists Association of Tuzla, Tuzla, Zinice and Kalesija in Bosnia
- 1999 Visual Arts Scotland, Royal Scottish Academy, Edinburgh (recurring)
- 2005 Axis schools workshop, Centre for Contemporary Art, Glasgow
- 2005 Gallery 37 employment initiative for 16 - 24 year olds, Gallery 37 Pagodas, Edinburgh
- 2004 Growing Ideas Project, Fruitmarket Gallery, Edinburgh
- 2003 Precious Tranquility, Stills Gallery, Edinburgh
- 2002 Kunst, Austrian Federal Chancellery, Vienna
- 2001 Artist in Residence, International Artists Exchange Basel (IAAB), Basel, Switzerland
- 1999 Artist in Residence, George Watson's College, Edinburgh
Competitions, prizes and awards
- 2005 Artists award, Hope Scott Trust, Edinburgh
- 2005 Nancy Graham Memorial Prize, Visual Arts Scotland, Royal Scottish Academy
- 2004 Artists bursary, Friends of the Royal Scottish Academy, Royal Scottish Academy
- 2004 Professional Development Award, Scottish Arts Council, Edinburgh
- 2004 Visual Artist Award, City of Edinburgh Council, Edinburgh
- 2001 Artist Award, British Council, London
- 2001 Artist Award, Hope Scott Trust, Edinburgh
- 2001 Professional Development Award, Scottish Arts Council, Edinburgh
- 1999 Artist Award, Arts Trust of Scotland, Edinburgh
- 1999 Assitance Grant, Scottish Arts Council, Edinburgh
- 1997 Assistance grant, Scottish Arts Council, Edinburgh