I specialise in working with light, space and the viewers presence in the work to create stunning pieces of architectural glass which play with reflection, transparency and light transmission.
My work is concept driven and site and project-specific so each individual piece is unique and in total harmony with the building and space it is designed for. Each piece is designed to create a conversation between the viewer, the inside space, the glass and the outside space, so whether walking through a flock of birds or climbing a hill amidst a flock of butterflies - the viewer is fundamental to the work.
I employ reflection, transparency and opacity to create work that transforms itself continually with the changes in natural light, artificial light and the movement of the viewer.
The themes of my work include mapping the past with the present, identity and senses of place. I have previously incorporated images of sky, people and landscapes to reference a wider concern for our environment and to signify our place in the world. My work is concept driven, I often use text in my work to express ideas and inspire.
I am experienced in working independently, collaborating with design teams and in community consultation. I specialise in architectural glass - as this medium is the only way for me to explore the fascinating interface of light and space with the movement of the viewer.
Architecture, light and space, perception, philosophy, landscape, identity, place, metaphor.
- 1996 Solo show Windows on Living and Architecture, Angel Row Gallery Foyer, Nottingham
- 1995 The space in-between, solo show of drawings, Beauchamp College, Leicester
- 2000 NYAD 2000, Dfn Gallery, New York, USA
- 1999 ZeroZeroZero, Whitechaple Gallery, London
- 1999 Created Space, Whiteleys, Bayswater, London
- 1997 Final year show installation, the Royal College of Art, London
- 2008 Shortlisted, Major architectural glass commission, New development of office, retail, hotel & leisure, Strand, Central London.
- 2008 Shortlisted - major commission, Arundel Great Court, Strand, London
- 2008 Architectural Glass Commission, Private residential development, Fitzrovia, Central london
- 2008 Glass facade artwork concept design, The new Swiss Centre by Jestico + Whiles, Leicester Square, London
- 2007 Seasons on Maddox Street, Commercial building with restaurants and offices., Maddox Street, Mayfair, London (more info)
- 2006 Prospect Place Glazing Commission, Bellway Homes/RMA Architects/CBaT, Cardiff (more info)
- 2005 Text based artwork for a new glazed porch, All Saints Church, Blackheath, London
- 2003 Resident Artist on Angell Town Estate Action. 'Skywindows' screen printing and laminating onto solar control glass, Angell Town Estate, Brixton, London
- 2000 Lead Artist on the redevelopment of Mulberry Bush School, Mulberry Bush School, Oxon
- 1998 Surveillance mirror screen, etched, engraved, photography, Private apartment, Bankside, London
- 1997 Glass Screen depicting St Michael, hand engraving onto surveillance mirror, St Johns' Church, Stoneygate, Leicester
- 2012 Butetown Community Centre Glass Commission, Cardiff Council, Cardiff, Wales
- 2010 Rainbow Garden glazed rooflight, South Petherton Hospital, Somerset
- 2009 Glass and Wall artwork commissions, Heaven, LD and Autistic Health Centre, Newcastle
- 2008 Shortlisted, MAC new building public art commissions, Midlands arts Centre (mac), Edgbaston, Birmingham
- 2008 Lead Artist, Large scale architectural glass, wall and way finding artworks with Impact Art, Lanchester PFI Hospital, Durham
- 2008 Shortlisted for concept design stage: Facade Glazing, Gt. Ormond St Hospital, London
- 2008 4 Memory Windows, St Nicholas Hospital, MAAP Architects, Gosforth, Newcastle
- 2006 Raindrops on Roses, New Gravesham Hospital, Gravesend (more info)
- 2005 Butterfly Hill - Architectural glass panels, screen printed and laminated glass, Nuffield House, Harlow Health Centres Trust, Harlow, Essex
- 2005 'Birds' - Commissioned by Artcare to create an artwork for the new glazed corridor. Double sided. A flock of birds made of sky, screenprinted., Salibury District Hospital, Salisbury, England
- 2003 'Field' Commissioned by Oakfern Housing Association to create a glasswork for a new build community cente, Screenprinted glass, Oakridge Community Centre, Basingstoke
- 2000 Collaboration with muf. architecture/art - 'Holden Street water platform, Commissioned by Public Art Leicester, Holden Street, Leicester
- 1998 IYHP Permanent drawing onto a glass conservatory in mixed glass media, International Youth House building, Bede Island, Leicester
- 2004 Artists Forum - Appointed by Artquest to run an artists Forum, I chose to focus on craftspeople who sit on the boundary of fine art and craft
- 2012 Shared Memories, Arcola Theatre, Dalston, London
Web links - gallery/work/projects