Most of the concepts I explore in my work arise from life experiences.
I am particularly interested in 'journeys' - inner and outer, personal and universal. My initial working process is intuitive and often involves physical interaction with the landscape. I research widely, exploring all possible connections and reduce the idea it to its essentials. There are many threads to my work with recent themes of a more political nature – displacement and internment.
The work is installation based and combines mixed media. I am interested in materials and their ability to convey specific meanings.
The primary influences on my work come from relationship to 'place'.
I am interested in ancient cultures that have a close relationship with the land and their particular landscape, and how they survive in our modern world.
There are many artists who have been influential throughout my career.
My initial influences were the Land/Environmental artists e.g. Richard Long, Hamish Fulton, the way they physically and spiritually connected to wild remote landscape.
Eva Hesse and Guiseppe Pennone have also been of particular influence for their brave manipulation of materials. With the increased political nature of my own work, I have become increasingly drawn to the work of Joseph Beuys and Doris Salcedo.
My working practice covers three areas:-
Exhibiting artist nationally/internationally
Arts Educator - Currently Fine Art Tutor-BA Hons Degree - University of Wales Bangor
Previous experience – schools /gallery workshops/ summer schools/artist-led adult courses.
- 2012 Unearthed/Datguddio, Oriel Caffi Croesor, Gwynedd ,N.wales
- 2011 Custodian /Gofalwr, Oriel Mostyn Gallery, Llandudno N.Wales
- 2009 In Limbo/Yn Limbo, Old Tannery / Moma, Machynlleth/Wales
- 2006 Hide and Seek -Chwarae Chwiw, Oriel Mostyn, Llandudno
- 2005 Between The Layers, Oriel Ynys Mon, LLangefni.
- 2001 'Cardinal Directions', Glynn Vivian Art Gallery, Swansea
- 2001 'Desert Landscapes', MOMA, y Tabernacl, Machynlleth, Wales
- 1999 'Placement', Bangor Museum and Art Gallery, Gwynedd
- 1999 'Placement', Oriel 31, Newtown, Powys
- 1998 'Transitions', Oriel y Ddraig, Blaenau Ffestiniog, Gwynedd
- 2011 Lloches/Shelter, Oriel Mostyn Gallery, Llandudno N.Wales
- 2007 Group exhibition, Oriel Glaslyn, Porthmadog
- 2007 Welsh Artist of the year Exhibition, St Davids Hall, Cardiff
- 2006 A Solaina De Pilono group Exhibition, Lalin Gallery, Lalin, Galicia
- 2005 Insiders-Art and the Box, Inverness Museum and Art Gallery, Inverness, Scotland
- 2005 Insiders-Art and the Box, Whitstable Museum and Art Gallery, Whitstable, England
- 2005 Insiders-Art and the Box, Herne Bay Museum and Art Gallery, Hene Bay
- 2005 Insiders-Art and the Box, Canterbury Royal Museum and Art Gallery, Canterbury
- 2005 Insiders-Art and the Box, St Fergus Gallery, Wick, Scotland
- 2005 Insiders-Art and the Box, Aberystwyth Arts Centre, Aberystwyth
- 2005 Insiders-Art and the Box, Iona Gallery, Kingussie, Scotland
- 2005 Insiders-Art and the Box, Swanson Gallery, Thurso, Scotland
- 2004 Insiders - Art and the Box, Rugby Museum/Art Gallery, Rugby
- 2004 Insiders - Art and the Box, Quay Arts, Isle of Wight
- 2003 Insiders - Art and the Box, Oriel Davies Gallery, Newtown, Powys
- 2003 The Spirit of Lleyn, Oriel Plas Glyn Y Weddw, Llanbedrog, Gwynedd
- 2002 Selected Works, Oriel Cemlyn, Harlech, Gwynedd
- 2001 Paperworks, Monmouth Museum
- 2001 Oriel31, Open 2001
- 2001 Summer Exhibition, Old Chapel Gallery, Hereford
- 2000 Oriel31, Open 2000
- 2000 The Intrinsic Book, Paperweight Touring Exhibition
- 1999 The Intrinsic Book, Model House, Llantrisant
- 1999 Paper Stone Spirit, Theatre Ardudwy, Harlech
- 1998 Bleddfa Gallery, Knighton, Powys
- 1998 The Comet, Oriel y Ddraig, Blaenau Ffestiniog, Gwynedd
- 1998 The Paper Show, Walford Mill, Wimborne, Dorset
- 1998 Paper, Stone, Spirit, Ruskin Mill, Nailsworth, Gloucestershire
- 1997 Paperweight, Salisbury Museum and Art Gallery
- 1996 The Land, The Earth, Oriel Pendeitsh, Caernarvon
- 1996 National Eisteddfod of Wales
- 2011 Pethau Hwyrach, S4C tv studio, Cardiff
- 2011 Marged Pendell/Artist talk, Mostyn Gallery, Llandudno