My recent body of work is drawn from the classical theme of Memento Mori; and uses motifs such as flowers, birds and insects, which historically, are said to remind the viewer of their own mortality of the vanity of earthly glory and pleasure. I weave flora and fauna into magical, jewel like landscapes and are a continuation from my 2007 Dark Gardens series.
My paintings are based on a romantic attitude, drawing elements from traditional painterly values whilst communicating a unique expressive quality with an intuitive and spontaneous approach to my work. I often work over a previous painting, adding then rubbing back layers of paint so that the under-painting can be seen in part. This gives a sense of history to the works.
My use of jewel-like colours against a sombre background gives the paintings a back-lit quality, and the contrast of mark-making veers from subtle glazing techniques to broad sweeping brush strokes to create a dramatic stage set of landscapes and gardens.
Qualifications and training
- 1990 BA Hons Fine Art, Birmingham Polytechnic, Birmingham
- 2011 Memento Mori, Opus Art, Newcastle
- 2012 Needles Eye, Bayart Gallery, Cardiff
- 2012 Equinox, Transition Gallery, London
- 2012 Needles Eye, Transition Gallery, London
- 2012 The London Art Fair - Opus Art, Islington, London
- 2011 SCOPE Art Fair - Opus Art, 320 West Street, New York