I design and make glass artwork for architectural settings, creating visually stimulating work that responds to the nature of a space, becomes part of the fabric of an environment and, I hope, adds something to people's everyday lives.
I work to commission for a wide variety of applications and undertake public art projects, often in collaboration with other artists and designers. I also follow my own independent creative ideas to make glass and paper based artworks and installations for gallery and domestic interior or exterior environments.
Drawing, photography, film and other multimedia work is important to my practice and sensibilities from these areas feed into my work with glass. I work with flat glass employing techniques including layering, sandblasting, water-jet cutting, fusing, and painting as well as traditional stained glass. I am also researching the creative application of glass and thin-film coating technology, aided by links with Saint Gobain Glass UK.
My current work explores the variable reflectivity and transparency of glass surfaces, how this interacts with variable lighting conditions and the spatial ambiguity this combination of elements often creates.
Qualifications and training
- 2009 MA Glass (Distinction), University of Sunderland, Sunderland
- 1997 Director, Scarborough Festival of Youth Arts, Scarborough, North Yorkshire
- 1992 Current. Freelance Arts Management, including audience development consultancy, project management in art galleries, curatorial work, community arts management, delivering artist workshops in formal and informal educational settings
- 2009 New Works in Architectural Glass, Electric Angel Gallery, Scarborough, North Yorkshire
- 2010 British Glass Biennale, International Festival of Glass, Stourbridge
- 2010 North Yorkshire Open Studios, Stable Studio, Scarborough, North Yorkshire
- 2010 Spring Show, The Biscuit Factory, Newcastle
- 2009 Space and Place - Glass in Context, The Coach House Gallery, Wakefield
- 2009 The Ten - MA Glass degree show, The Biscuit Factory, Newcastle
- 2008 New Designers, Business Design Centre, Islington, London
- 2005 Drift, moving image projections, Woodend Museum, Scarborough
- 2008 Crazy, Damn Right I'm Crazy, curatorial project with young people, Ferens Art Gallery, Hull
- 1998 Northern Lights, curatorial project with young people, Bluecoat Gallery - Liverpool, Ruskin Gallery - Sheffield, Cleveland Craft Centre - Middlesborough
- 2003 Artist in Residence, Sita School, Bangalore, India
- 2010 'Cherry' - glass panel in hospital lift, York Hospital, York, North Yorkshire
- 2009 'Everyone's Always Somewhere', ground based art waymarker, The Old Railway Line, Scarborough
- 2009 Wall panels, Saint Gobain Glass UK, Eggborough, North Yorkshire
- 2007 12 glass awards, Thundercat Racing World Championships, Scarborough
Competitions, prizes and awards
- 2008 Creative Industries Feasibility Study Award, Technology Strategy Board, £15,000
Web links - gallery/work/projects