Collecting printed and handwritten ephemera is an important part of my creative process and this often dictates the subject matter. I gather things, scraps, shopping lists, tickets I have found on the street,at a train station, pockets, all of a particular appearance—discoloured, loved, lost, stained, beautiful and damaged.
Pasted found notes or manuscripts are often employed because of my anthropological interest in mark-making. I’m fascinated by handwriting, telephone doodles and children’s scribbles. This ‘accidental art’ forms the basic rules of my compositions, ‘chance’, ’accident’ and ‘honesty’.
I strive to construct a symbolic representation of a metaphysical reasoning of the world and how we interact with such ephemeral material and information. Whilst removing conscious thought, the page and its white space becomes a drawing tool which allows me to explore the endless possibilities of composition within my ‘drawing collage’, a nod towards my interest in constructivism and the Russian Avante Garde.
These 'drawing collages' are best compared to the pages of a book, constructed from detailed marks and materials imploring a need to be held and viewed intimately. This approach is repeated in sculptural form, where small objects are obsessively wrapped using fragile material and are built to a scale not much larger than a book.
Qualifications and training
- 2006 MA Animation, Royal College of Art, London
- 2012 works on paper, Bank Street Arts, Sheffield
- 2012 Pocket Museum, The Lightbox, Woking
- 2011 works on paper, Arc Space, Aspex Gallery, Portsmouth
- 2011 'Beast Fables' an onsite collage, Cuckoo Studios, Isle of Wight
- 2011 Ephemera Narrate, Portsmouth Cathedral, Portsmouth
- 2009 Collecting Lines, Eldon Gallery, Portsmouth University, Portsmouth
- 2012 Jerwood Drawing prize shortlist exhibition, Jerwood Space, London
- 2012 Say What You See, Aspex Gallery, Portsmouth
- 2011 Parallax 1 AF, Le Galleria , Royal Opera Arcade, Pall Mall , London
- 2011 Afternoon Tea, WW Gallery, 54th Venice Biennale, Venice
- 2010 Fukt Magazine Presents, Nomas Foundation, Rome
- 2010 Anonymous Drawings, Kunstraum Kreuzberg, Berlin
- 2006 Terrestrial television screening of 'Pull', BBC 2, London
- 2011 Artist in Residence, Portsmouth Grammar School, Portsmouth
Competitions, prizes and awards
- 2010 Quay Arts Purchase prize, Quay Arts, Isle of wight
Web links - article/press