I am a multi-disciplinary artist.
I work in sculpture, painting, installation, sound and occasionally make artists books.
I try not to have a particular style and a new piece of work tends to be in a new medium; a book, a painting, a film, a boat made of a matchbox or a drawing made on the walls of a timber store. This reflects an investigative approach to 'ways of making' as well as the way those 'made objects' interact with the world around them.
I have recently exhibited in public parks and have worked in partnership with public art organisations.The things I make often find themselves outside of the 'white cube' and in public spaces or buildings. I try to make engaging work, it needs to have a 'way in' before the viewer can start to unravel deeper meaning. This doesn't mean my work is straight forward, sometimes a piece is left open, a set of ideas or materials put together to start a particular train of thought.
A finished piece of work often talks of the detail of things, small objects or events others may pass by, the importance of minor adjustments or how a small intervention could change future events.
As my practice becomes more socially engaged, As i start to manage projects, work collaboratively, I'm interested in how I control/allow the collapse of boundaries between work, art-making, employment and making things I want to make.
Qualifications and training
- 1999 BA Honours Fine Art, London Guildhall University, London
- 1996 Foundation Course, Manchester Met University, Manchester
- 2011 EXCHANGE Project Space, Exchange Project Space, Unit 14, Queens Yard, Hackney Wick, London
- 2011 Track Changes. Figure Ground event., LV21 Lightship., Gillinghan Pier, Kent.
- 2010 Can you Hear it? Curated by Franko B., the Nunnery. Bow Arts Trust., Bow, London
- 2009 Impossible Exchange - Arte Contempo, Frieze Projects, Frieze Art Fair., Regents Park, London.
- 2009 Something I've made, left outside until its kicked to bits, stolen or falls apart., Hackney Wicked Art Festival 2009, Hackney, London.
- 2009 Self Portrait, Featured in publication by CONTENTS MAY VARY., The Best of Manchester 09, Urbis Centre. Manchester
- 2008 Collision, group show, Area10 Project Space, London
- 2007 Pipedream, group show, Tether Studios and Gallery, Nottingham
- 2007 Foldback, group show, Space Studios and Gallery, Hackney, London
- 2007 Upstaging Nature, Sydenham woods, Lookoutpost group, Sydenham woods London
- 2007 multicomplexificationalities, group show, the Nunnery Gallery, Bow arts trust, London
- 2010 DO NOTHING., Palour project space., Kentish town, London.
- 2011 EXCHANGE Project Space. Lead artist., Exchange Project Space, Unit 14, Queens Yard, White Post Lane, Hackney Wick, London. E9 5EN.
- 2009 Micro-residency - Art for animals., Fernymwoods Contemporary Art., Northamptonshire, England
- 2011 Alterations, APT Gallery, Deptford London
Web links - gallery/work/projects