My painting practice explores a sense of place, the fleeting and floating subject and the relationship between painter and nature.
From 2003, I created a series of bubble island paintings that marked a distinct departure from earlier abstract surface works which explored two surfaces coming together and ‘touching’. The further development of this work in 2006 coincided with a move from London to the Suffolk countryside. Remoteness and early grey mornings accumulated in a body of island paintings depicting foam bubble forms. Painted in abstract seascapes and evoking the forms of icebergs at sea, these fragile forms remind the viewer of the short-lived and are stark reminders of the fragility of island life, life itself and the natural world under threat today.
Since 2009, my painting has been influenced by frequent visits to the riverside.
Last year, I started work on a series I have titled Willow Lands. These explore patterns formed by interlacing sprigs and leaves. Intimate and tangled these semi-abstract works are inspired by the riverside landscape: the tips of the willow branch touching the waters surface, immersive curtains of willow, human intervention, irregular and regular formations and patterns. This ongoing exploration engages with nature’s constant renewal and the expression of fragility, which simultaneously, mimic the artistic and painting process.
Qualifications and training
- 2000 MFA Painting, Slade School of Fine Art, UCL, London
- 1998 BA Hons Fine Art Painting, Norwich School of Fine Art, Norwich
- 2008 Recent Paintings, Halesworth Gallery, Suffolk
- 2006 Artist Space, Firstsite, Colchester
- 2012 Summer Exhibition, The Royal Academy of Arts, London
- 2011 Affordable Art Fair Hampstead, Gallery Violet, London
- 2011 Waterline, Waterfront Gallery, UCS, Suffolk
- 2010 Dedham Vale Exhibition, Gallery Violet, Essex
- 2010 Discovering Art, Melford Hall, National Trust, Suffolk
- 2009 Summer Exhibition, The Royal Academy of Arts, London
- 2009 New Blood Art Spring Show, Crane Mews, Middlesex
- 2008 Artsway Open 08, Artsway, Hampshire
- 2007 Eastern Open 07, Kings Lynn Art Centre, Norfolk
- 2006 Kettle's Yard Open, Kettle's Yard, Cambridge
- 2002 Summer Exhibition, The Royal Academy of Arts, London
- 2001 Summer Exhibition, The Royal Academy of Arts, London
- 2000 Starstruck, Vertigo, London
Competitions, prizes and awards
- 2012 ‘Evening Sail’, East Contemporary Art Collection, UCS, Ipswich, Suffolk
- 2006 Nominated, Jerwood Contemporary Painters, London
- 2001 Shortlisted, Dupree Award for a Woman Artist, Royal Academy of Arts Summer Exhibition, London
- 1998 Arts and Humanities Research Board Bursary, for MFA studies, London