Kay Bathke is a London based artist and illustrator specialising in semi-abstract landscapes and drawings from life. Her work is inspired by the natural world and natural forms. ‘I love the beauty, the contrasts and the subtle changes in form which I translate and emphasise through the marks in my work’.
Kay’s sketches of people and landscapes are made using bold strokes and continuous lines, some marks are completed quickly with the emphasis on capturing the mood and emotion of the subject rather than pure representation. Some works have a complex feel while many sketches and life studies are simple line drawings with an illustrative quality.
All work is experimental in the approach to materials and surface. Landscapes in ‘The Death Valley Series’ were made on drafting paper using both sides to add to the depth and richness of the landscape, incorporating charcoals, graphite and pastels.
Paintings are made with the same approach as drawings. Graphite and charcoals are drawn in with the paint at the same time and are produced in the moment to create energy and movement. Kay is influenced by expressive artists including CyTwombly and Willem de Kooning as well as the subtle figure drawings from Antoine Watteau.
- 2008 Kay Bathke - paintings and drawings, Lauderdale House, London (more info)
- 2008 Paintings and Drawings, Lauderdale House, Highgate
- 2008 Kay Bathke - Recent Works, Diesel House Studios, London (more info)
- 2008 Recent Works, Diesel House Studios, Kew Bridge
- 2007 Flights - paintings, Studio 20 Cell Studios, Hackney Wick
- 2012 Showcase - Cities, Art Fair, East London
- 2012 Parallax Art Fair, Chelsea, London
- 2012 The Other Art Fair London, The Other Art Fair, Ambika P3 London
- 2009 Art House, Diesel House Studios, West London
- 2007 Jug and Keyboard, Studio 20 Cell Studios, Hackney Wick