The Work is mainly one-off bespoke pieces for clients and the final work is developed through research and engaging with the client on a journey. Discussions with the client are an important collaborative part of this process.
Each commission is site specific and has a relationship to the space and the people that use it. Texture, light and glass colours are used to transform new or existing spaces.
Projects have ranged from both the public and private sectors, including hospitals, theatres, galleries and museums. The work also varies in scale from awards, gifts and small private commissions to large-scale pieces of public art for interior or exterior spaces. Another area of the business is working as an artist within both primary and secondary schools, running glass workshops and residencies. Work is either created for chosen areas around the school environment or is made as part of their curriculum.
I began my career in the North East as a freelance lecturer at Sunderland University. Since 1989 my commission led practice has been based at 36 Lime Street, a John Dobson grade II listed building, originally a flax factory. My move to a much larger studio nine years ago overlooking the river has allowed my business to expand. It is also the ideal environment to take part in the various practical glass workshops that I run. Contact me directly in order for me to help you create your own tailored workshops or a piece for your home or work.
Qualifications and training
- 1986 Glass, Royal College of Art, London
- 1983 Glass with Drawing (First Class), W.S.C.A.D., Farnham, Surrey
- 2012 2012 British Glass Biennale, Ruskin Glass Centre, Stourbridge
- 2011 Studioglas aus Großbritannien, Europäisches Museum Für Modernes Glas, Ein Zweigmuseum der Kunstsammlungen der Vest Coburg
- 2010 15 plus 7, Bild-Werk, Werk-Bilder, Eisch Glaskultur, Frauenau, Germany
- 1995 The Influence of The Natural World In Craft And Design 1990-1994, Crafts Council, London
- 1995 Modern Studio Glass in Europe, permenant collection, Kunstammungen der Veste, Cobury, Germany
- 1988 Thirty Six Women from Twelve Countries, International Flat Glass Museum, Monica Trujen Gallery, Bremen, Germany
- 1986 Glasmuseum, Ebeltoft, Denmark
- 1985 Modern Studio Glass In Europe, Kunstammungen Der Veste Coburg, Germany
- 2011 Design and fabrication workshops for the proposed Library Windows, Walker Technology School, Walker, Newcastle upon Tyne & my studio
- 1996 End of Residency show, Reg Vardy Gallery, Sunderland
- 2012 Library Windows, Walker Technology School, Walker, Newcastle upon Tyne
- 2011 University Hospitals Coventry and Warwickshire NHS Trust, Cast panels for the 'Forget me not' a family room, Coventry
- 2010 Commemorative panel made with the Team Spirit girls, Teams Medical Practice, Watson Street, Gateshead
- 2005 Glass & decorative railings with John Hay, The Grange Centre, Throckley, Newcastle upon Tyne
- 2002 Gates, Pedestrian barriers and bridge pier, metal and glass, Middlesbrough Council, Albert Park, Middlesbrough
- 2008 Angel Awards x 5, Northern Lights Film Festival 2008, The Baltic, Gateshead
- 2007 Awards x 4, Conservation Awards, 1 London Bridge,London
Competitions, prizes and awards
- 2008 Screen Printing and Colour Course at Northern Print, Cultural Sector Development Initiative funded, Northern Print
- 2008 Designed & Made 'Prospect' Bursary Scheme, Designed & Made, Northern Print and my studio
- 2002 10 x 10 ‘Encore’ Award Northern Arts, Northern Arts, Central Square, Newcastle upon Tyne
Educational experience - primary
- 2011 Entrance panel and knowledge box, Morpeth First School: Creative Partnership project, Morpeth, Northumberland
- 2009 Foyer panels, Bede Academy Primary School, Blyth, Northumberland