I think of my work as a record of the process of painting, and although landscape based is more a memory than an actual place. I refer constantly to sketch books and photographs, and make thumbnail drawings, then draw directly on to the canvas, often over a coloured wash. I start with an idea, often a shape within a given area, and allow the painting to lead, adding sand, plaster, fabric, beads, oils, building up the surface. This way the work evolves on the canvas over days, weeks or months, gathering texture and layers, often pushing the work in an unexpected direction.. This continues until I feel the painting is complete.
I became interested in texture after studying the surface of rocks and abandoned mines in Cornwall, and the ancient burial grounds and farming settlements in the area in which I live.
I aim for a contemplative quality, with areas of calm, small intense incidents, and lots going on underneath the surface, a constant exploration of the unexpected.
Amongst many others I have been influenced by the work of Nicolas de Stael, Peter Lanyon, Gustav Klimt, Joan Eardley, and artists working today, such as Alastair Michie and Robert Woolner.
- 2011 Open Studios, Wylye Valley Art Trail, Mere, Wilts
- 2009 Open Studios, Wylye Valley Art Trail, Mere, Wilts
- 2011 Help for Heroes, The Salisbury Art Show, Leaden Hall School, Salisbury Wilts
- 2011 The Salisbury Art Show, Leaden Hall School, Salisbury, Wilts
- 2010 Fraenkel & Turnbull, Royal Literary and Scientific Institution, Bath
- 2010 Lookout, Portland Arts Centre, Portland, Dorset
- 2010 Brownstone Gallery, Affordable Art Fair, Bristol
- 2010 Chelsea Art Fair, Brownstone Gallery, London
- 2009 Opening Show, Wilton Art Gallery, Wilton, Wilts
- 2009 Altered Images, Rook Lane Chapel Gallery, Frome, Somerset
- 2009 Affordable Art Fair, Brownstone Gallery, Bristol
- 2009 Pinpointing Portland, Salisbury Library, Salisbury, Wilts
- 2008 Kent & Sussex Art Fair, Rolverdon Barn, Sussex
- 2008 Kate Parry-Evans & Hilary Turnbull, Portico Gallery, Salisbury Library, Salisbury, Wilts
- 2007 Winter Exhibition, Brownston Gallery, Modbury, Devon
- 2007 Autumn Open Exhibition, RWA, Bristol
- 2007 Wylye Valley Art Trail, Barn Studio, Mere
- 2006 Christmas Exhibition, Kingston Gate Gallery, Kingston-on Thames
- 2006 Autumn Open Exhibition, RWA, Bristol
- 2006 Bridport Open Exhibition, Bridport Arts Centre, Bridport
- 2005 5_2_C, Sherborne House, Sherborne
- 2007 Discoveries in Mixed Media, The Artist Magazine