My work oscillates between painting as image and painting as a material process. I'm concerned with the tension that exists between the illusion and the surface.
Working from personal photography and found images, I utilise the effects of reproduction and pixilation on a painterly aesthetic.
I start by painting the image in a representational manner, then apply dragging techniques, pushing and pulling the paint and causing ruptures in the image.
Within this I use geometrical abstractions, playing on a sense of entropy and order; the impermanence of form, but also the crystalline nature of its emergence. Through this process I try to understand and internalise perception and experience, whilst reflecting on a sense of modern day anxiety.
Qualifications and training
- 2007 MA Fine Art, Painting, Bath Spa University, Bath
- 2004 BA Fine Art, Painting, Falmouth College of Arts, Falmouth, Cornwall
- 2012 Diamond Armour, Article gallery, Birmingham
- 2012 Nottingham Castle Open, Nottingham Castle, Nottingham
- 2012 Odds Against Tomorrow, Exhibit A, Bearspace Gallery, London
- 2011 Surface Open, Surface Gallery, Nottingham
- 2011 Creekside Open 2011, APT Gallery, London
- 2010 Crash Open, Charlie Dutton Gallery, London
- 2009 Arctic Fox, Vulpes Vulpes, Clapton, London
- 2008 Up & Coming, CUC Northwest, Liverpool
- 2008 Use Your Peripheral Vision to Make A Decision, The Lloyd Gill Gallery, Weston-Super-Mare
- 2007 MFA Exhibition, Bath Spa University, Bath