My work is strongly based in the European tradition of painting.
I strive to make work that is firstly meaningful. Hopefully a degree of innovation will naturally develop from this process. I don't strive to be different for the sake of difference.
The meaning in my work is more about the question rather than the answer. A reflection of the world as I see it. Both universal and intrinsically personal. I often draw reference from mythology (especially Welsh and Greek) and from contemporary culture. My interest in mythology is due to its power as archetypal, often unconscious, symbols of the human predicament.
My medium of choice is usually oil paint but also other painting and drawing media. The direct nature of making a mark is hugely significant to my work, and my understanding of the artistic process. Both stripping down the act of making to it's essentials, with little paraphernalia, being direct and immediate, while also intellectually drawing reference to our first artistic creations, as a species and as individuals.
I love the direct, simple approach of mark making and creating something form combining marks. And to do this in a meaningful manner is something that I find hugely compelling, and rewarding.
- 2012 New work, Ffin-y-Parc, Llanrwst, Conwy
- 2012 Dim Gobaith Caneri, West Wales Arts Centre, Fishguard, Pembrokeshire
- 2012 Dim Gobaith Caneri, Washington Gallery, Penarth, Vale of Glamorgan
- 2011 Dim Gobaith Caneri, Museum of Modern Art Wales, Machynlleth
- 2011 Dim Gobaith Caneri, Cyfarthfa Castle Museum and Art Gallery, Merthyr Tydfil
- 2008 A Bloke Called Hero, Dylan Thomas Centre, Swansea
- 2006 Stories Without Narrative, Rhondda Heritage Park Gallery, Rhondda Cynon Taff
- 2004 Nature Or Nurture, West Wales Arts Centre, Pembrokeshire
- 2002 Brothers, Sisters and Dogs, West Wales Arts Centre, Pembrokeshire
- 2001 Dreams, Fairytales, Myths and Nightmares, Washington Gallery, Vale of Glamorgan
- 2009 Masterstrokes, Museum of Modern Art Wales/Cymru, Machynlleth (more info)
- 2008 3 person show with Meri Wells and Maria Hayes, Galeri, Betws-Y-Coed, North Wales
- 2008 Cewri a Thrawsffurfiad, The Washington Gallery, Penarth (more info)
- 2008 New Wave, Bute Space, Cardiff (more info)
- 2007 (Four large paintings, alongside other exhibitions), Museum of Modern Art Wales, Machynlleth, Powys
- 2002 Contemporary Welsh Art, Beatrice Royal Gallery, Hampshire
- 2008 TV interview, S4C (Cwmni Da), Merthyr Tudful (more info)