I explore everyday routines as a means to analyse where I fit in to the greater scheme of things.
Focusing on the immediate environment and the routes to local towns and villages, I portray the shape and pattern of my daily journeys. The repetitiveness of these activities, the places I visit and the people I interact with, underpin my work.
By introducing grids, road markings, text and symbols I can evoke an element of fun, creating a game with rules and codes to direct the viewer a reflection on society perhaps.
I see mapping as a form of thought process: plotting things out; arranging in sequence; identifying spaces and where connections lie; the shape of the land and the places we know - Familiarity of a place instills a feeling of ownership and belonging, compounding the notion of ones place being central to ones identity.
By removing usual map information from the images, and any form of key, the viewer is forced to see the area honed down to its bare bones, only to be drawn or interpreted by those familiar with that space.
I would like to develop this concept on a large scale by collating information from groups of people, living or working locally to each other, through discussion and analysing their individual maps to discover ways they connect to form a community.
Qualifications and training
- 2004 MA Fine and Applied Arts, University of Hertfordshire, Hatfield, Herts.
- 1998 PGCE Art and Design, Homerton College, Cambridge University
- 1986 Post grad. Theatre Design, Slade School of Fine Art, UCL, Gower Street, London
- 1983 BA (Hons) Fine Art - Printmaking, Kingston Polytechnic, Surrey
- 2007 Bind, New Hall, Cambridge
- 2005 West to East exhibition of work by eight women artists, Chiang Mai University Gallery, Chiang Mai, Thailand
- 2008 Hidden Communities, Bury St. Edmunds Art Gallery, Suffolk, Gallery space
- 2012 Fairfield Artwall, Fairfield Park, Stotfold Hertfordshire, Internal wall of Fairfield Park Community Hall
- 2011 Leaf Fall, Cottenham Village College, Cambridgeshire, Main atrium of new 6th Form building
- 2010 Windswept Tree, Cottenham Village College, Cambridgeshire, Entrance to College site
- 2009 Journeys, Bristol Heart Institute, Main atrium
- 2007 Public Art Commissions for three schools, Milton Keynes Council, Leon Cluster Schools, Water Eaton, Milton Keynes
- 2006 Public Art commission painted wall pieces, Space for Sports and Arts/ Bedfordshire County Council, Holmemead School, Biggleswade, Beds.
- 2008 Art in the City - Climate Change, Commissioned by British Council, Thailand, Srinakarinwirot University, Bangkok, Thailand