I have always been fascinated by the way objects and structures (mostly manufactured) affect or manipulate light which falls on them, passes through them or reflects from them.
Early work involved consciously harnessing projected light and manipulating it to produce sculptural installations. Objects, which appeared to be three-dimensional, could be walked around (or through), but did not physically exist. Many of these early studio and gallery installations resulted in kinetic drawings dimensional translations synthesised from flat information.
It was a natural progression into holography and its ability to record and replay light in its own terms. Although fascinated by the hi-fidelity, three-dimensional, nature of holograms, a phenomenon which originally attracted me to the medium, I wanted to use the process as more than a recorder. Subsequent works included drawn information which occupied a visual space between the observer and the surface of the work.
A series of pieces have explored questions about framing and presentation. The holograms have been taken off the wall and incorporated into site-specific installations, which use gallery floors and walls as the framing device.
Current work involves Internet projects, which use tiny points of light to explore global collaboration, networks and data gathering. One piece, launched in 2006, will run for four years and allows ten thousand groups and individuals to take part in a basic form of collaboration. Their actions are recorded and the resulting visual material will be used to produce a holographic installation
Qualifications and training
- 1989 PhD Fine Art, University of Reading, Reading, UK.
- 1980 MA Fine Art, University of Reading, Reading, UK
- 1978 BA (Hons) Fine Art, Trent Polytechnic, Nottingham, UK
- 2004 UK Spaces: Holographic Drawings, volumes and site specific installation., Butler Institute of American Art., Ohio, USA.
- 2003 UK Spaces: Holographic Drawings, volumes and site specific installation, Butler Institute of American Art., Ohio, USA.
- 2001 Deep Shadows?, Gallery 286, London, UK, Earl's Court Road, London, UK
- 1999 Works with Holography, Highgate Gallery, London, UK., Highgate Gallery, Highgate, London, UK.
- 1998 Wall Works, Lanchester Gallery, Coventry University, UK.
- 1995 Andrew Pepper, Galerie fr Holographie und Neue Visuelle Medien, Germany., Frechen, Germany.
- 1992 Andrew Pepper - recent works, Karas Studios, Madrid, Spain
- 1990 Andrew Pepper - works with holography, Gill Gallery, Newham, London, UK.
- 1990 Holograms and Light Installations, Watermans Arts Centre, London,UK.
- 1990 Holograms, Digital Gallery, Digital Equipment Co., Reading,UK.
- 1989 Andrew Pepper, Interference Gallery, Toronto, Canada
- 1988 Andrew Pepper, Museum fr Holographie und Neue Visuelle Medien, Pulheim/Cologne, Germany.
- 1982 Light Lines, Museum of Holography, New York, USA
- 1982 Light Projections, Living and Learning Centre, University of Vermont, Vermont, USA.
- 2012 Sculpting with Light, Gallery 286, London
- 2012 Archipelago, Bonington Gallery, Nottingham Trent University
- 2011 Contemporary Sculpture: Transit, School of Art and Design, Nottingham Trent University, Nottingham
- 2011 Garden of Light, Gallery 175, Seoul, Korea
- 2011 Holograms 2, The Banbury Museum, Oxfordshire, UK.
- 2011 Miniment[s], Nottingham Trent University, Nottingham (more info)
- 2011 Miniment[s], School of Art and Design, Nottingham Trent University, Nottingham, UK.
- 2011 Holograms 2, Oxfordshire Museum, Woodstock, Oxfordshire, UK.
- 2010 Holograms 2, Buckinghamshire County Museum, Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, UK.
- 2010 Art for Everyone, Arts Council England, Great Peter Street, London, UK.
- 2010 Holograms the First 60 Years, The Willis Museum, Basingstoke
- 2009 Holograms, the First 60 Years, York College Gallery, York, UK.
- 2008 The Earl's Court Irregulars, Gallery 286, London
- 2008 The Holograms, the First 60 Years, The Buckinghamshire County Museum, Aylesbury
- 2008 Holograms, The First 60 Years, The Buckinghamshire County Museum, Aylesbury (more info)
- 2008 One Leicester Open 20, Leicester City Gallery, Leicester (more info)
- 2008 Making Marks, Hand and Heart Gallery, Nottingham (more info)
- 2008 Holograms the First 60 Years, Rugby Museum and Art Gallery, Rugby, UK.
- 2008 Holograms, the First 60 Years, The Oxfordshire Museum, Woodstock, Oxfordshire, UK.
- 2008 The Drawing Wall, Bonington Gallery, Nottingham Trent University, Nottingham, UK.
- 2008 Holograms, the First 60 years, Banbury Museum, Oxfordshire, Banbury
- 2007 artworkornetwork, Surface Gallery, Nottingham (more info)
- 2007 Rules of the Game, Surface Gallery, Nottingham, UK
- 2006 Holography the 3-Dimensional Experience, Bodelwyddan Castle., Wales, UK (more info)
- 2005 Work from the Jonathan Ross Hologram Collection., Gallery 286., London, UK.
- 2004 Ten-Year Retrospective, Highgate Gallery., Highgate, London.UK
- 2003 Light From Shadow: The Legacy of Chiaroscuro in Spatial Imaging, Ivan Dougherty Gallery,, New South Wales, Australia. (more info)
- 2003 New Acquisitions 2, Gallery 286, London, UK
- 2001 New Acquisitions, Gallery 286, London, UK
- 2000 The Royal Photographic Society Summer Show, The Octagon, Bath, UK.
- 2000 Holografie 2000, Stadtmuseum, St. Plten, Austria.
- 2000 Die Neue Dimension, Kulturbrauerei, Berlin, Germany.
- 2000 Die Neue Dimension, Rathaus St. Johann, Saarbrcken, Germany
- 1999 Lumia, International Light Art, Charlottenborg, Copenhagen, Denmark.
- 1991 Exhibition - 4 Holographers from the UK, Museum of Holography and Interference Gallery., New York, USA, and Toronto, Canada
- 1987 Artist-in-Residence, Museum of Holography, New York, USA.
- 2010 WeLikeArtists, Web site to provide artists with professional advice and intelligent resources, www.WeLikeArtists.com
- 2007 artworkornetwork, Surface Gallery and Online installation, Surface Gallery and Web
- 2006 One Million Points Of Light, Online project involving up to 10,000 participants, Web based - On view in 121 countries
Competitions, prizes and awards
- 1989 Shearwater Award for Creative Holography, Shearwater Foundation, Florida, USA
- 1988 Lionel Robbins Memorial Scholar, Department of Fine Art, University of Reading., Reading, UK.
- 1980 Fulbright Scholar, Museum of Holography, New York, U.S.A
- 1979 Prize Winner, Northern Young Contemporaries, Walker Art Gallery, Manchester, UK
- 1979 Prize Winner, New Contemporaries, Institute of Contemporary Art, ICA, London, UK
Web links - gallery/work/projects