Over the last two years I have concentrated solely on taking photographs. After working across different media over the the years I have finally found that photography truly unlocks my creative potential. It came as something of a revelation that the images I have produced express my individual response to the world around me. From the city that I grew up in (Birmingham) to places of strong cultural and personal significance-such as the West of Ireland. I use photography to examine my emotive response to my environment. The bizarre and quirky or humorous is another element in my work.
Since 2009 I have embarked on a new studio based type of work. This has involved using Maps and jigsaw fragments as well as toy soldiers which are placed together and then photographed. The Maps are got via ebay or through the Map section in the Library. They are carefully selected to serve as the back drop for works that centre around nationality, cultural identity, historic and political meaning. Waddington jigsaws produced a series of Maps of countries around the world in the 1960's aswell as subjects that were seen as educational in ethos. However in the C21st these ideas seem stereotypical and overtaken by the tide of time. These works are play with the visual attractiveness of the objects as well as engaging the viewer on a number of different levels.
I am still continuing my more familiar style of photography and have began to use black and white photography for the first time.
- 2011 Anti-curate, Midland Arts Centre, Birmingham
- 2011 Dialogue, Oxford Brookes University, Oxford
- 2010 Dialogue, Halle de Chartrons, Bordeaux
- 2010 Worcester Open 2010, Worcester Arts Workshop Annex 21, Worcester
- 2009 Birmingham Seen, Birmingham Museum & Art Gallery, Gas Hall, Birmingham
- 2009 RePlace: Birmingham/Bordeaux exchange, Works Gallery, Birmingham
- 2009 COE 09, Claremorris Art Committee, Claremorris, Co Mayo. Ireland
- 2009 1984, DACS Kowalsky Gallery, 33 Gt Sutton St, London
- 2008 Natural Morte, Hanger du Bois Gallery, Bordeaux, France
- 2008 Birmingham ArtII 1940-2008, Birmingham Museum & Art Gallery, Birmingham
- 2008 Pilot archive, Depford X, London
- 2007 New Generation Arts - "Orange Box"- Mixed media show, University of Central England, Vacant Light industrial space, Birmingham (more info)
- 2007 Pilot 3 Launch, Pilot - London, Venice (more info)
- 2007 Winter Exhibition 07, Contemporary Art Projects, London
- 2006 Bill Bradt in Bournville, International Project Space, Birmingham
- 2006 East International 06, Norwich School of Art and Design, Norwich
- 2006 East comes West - experiences of exhibiting at East 06, Periscope Project space, Birmingham