All paper works are from pulp made from torn rags of cotton and linen; also hemp and plants. I now have a beater which macerates the fibres. It is a fascinating process. I try to use the shaped paper or pulp as an image in itself. Manifold sheets of paper within the interstice then becoming the 'quiet' area and activating the actual pulp as in 'White Light'. My childhood was spent in or near Long Island Sound, New York, and as I become older, fragments of memories of the coast in New York State filter back and influence what I do with colour, shape and, above all, textures.
1995 Residency, Grizedale
1983/87 Training at Carlisle Art College, Carlisle, Cumbria
1962/63 Training at Camberwell School of Arts and Crafts
I am currently exhibiting more frequently in Cumbria. Also occasionally selling books of hand-made paper.
I have taught in various colleges and privately, Fine Art and Paper-making.
- 2005 Paper Gods, Darlington Arts Centre, Darlington, Durham
- 2000 William Howard Center
- 1997 Oldham Gallery, Ipswich SFK
- 1993 Maclaurin Galleries, Ayr, Scotland
- 1991 369 Gallery, Edinburgh
- 2004 Paper Eye, Percy House Gallery, Cockermouth, Cumbria
- 2002 Paper Eye, Percy House Gallery, Cockermouth, Cumbria
- 2002 Two man show, Percy House Gallery, Cockermouth
- 1993 ISIS Gallery, Melmerby, Cumbria