The underlying theme of my work considers our understanding of and attitudes towards what we consider reality to be. Initially the various images appear to be snapshots that make up a typical urban environment, and to an extent they are. However, the works are in fact a calculated juxtaposition of different photographs, which take the form of a college. Each college is digitally manipulated disguising the evidence of human intervention, but not completely.
With the knowledge that the works are actually constructed spaces, each becomes a representation of a possible situation. The key to work's success lies in the balance that the spaces seem real but at the same time not real. I am influenced by an eclectic range of artists and thinkers: Baudrillard, Magritte, and most recently the work of Mondrian amongst other Modernists, focusing on concepts of Utopia.
In contemporary life photography is deemed the medium for most accurately representing what is real. If a viewer of the work accepts the image as being an actual space then photography in this way masks the fact that it does not exist.
Qualifications and training
- 2000 BA (Hons) Fine Art, Central Saint Martins College of Art & Design, Charing Cross Rd, London
- 2009 Lost Britain, The Empire Gallery, Bethnal Green, London
- 2007 Urban Sublime - William Nixon and Minna Georgieva, My Life In Art, Broadway Market, London
- 2009 Creekside Open X3, APT Gallery, Deptford, London
- 2008 Photomonth Photo-Open, The Dray Walk Gallery, Brick Lane, London
- 2008 Collect 4, The Empire Gallery, Bethanl Green, London
- 2008 Cork Street Annual Open Exhibition for Charity, 28 Cork Street, Central London
- 2007 Londscapes, London School of Economics, Aldwych, London
- 2006 Love Art - Art Auction, saving lives through research and awareness, Royal Institute of British Architects, London
- 2006 Untitled Gallery at Throgmorton, Throgmorton Restaurant, Liverpool Street, London
- 2006 Glimpse - Revealing Unseen London, 43, South Molton Street, London
- 2006 DegreeArt on Level 1, Earls Court Level 1, London
- 2005 The Affordable Arts Fair, Battersea Park, London
- 2005 Selling 4 works to Microsoft, Microsoft UK, Cambridge
Web links - gallery/work/projects