Caroline's subversive and humorous portraits combine time honoured techniques with postmodern sensibilities. Playing with the notion of traditional portraiture, her striking paintings juxtapose the classic with the contemporary.
The cropping and scale often give a challenging edge to Caroline’s work, whilst the delicate and detailed rendering captures each idiosyncrasy of the sitter.
Her recent focus on flamboyant costumes, and use of ostentatious decoration, infuse her work with a sense of grandeur punctuated with elements of kitsch and theatricality.
Caroline's technical aptitude and thought-provoking imagery, combine to produce memorable and imaginative characters.
Qualifications and training
- 2003 Postgraduate Diploma (BTEC) Arts management and Practice, Hotbath Gallery, Bath, England
- 1999 BA (Hons) Fine Art, University of Wales Institute, Cardiff, Cardiff
- 2001 Set Painter, Cardiff theatrical Services; Welsh National Opera, Cardiff, Wales
- 2010 'Time, Tradition and Travesty' - Caroline Rudge's first solo show from 4th Sept - 16th Oct 2010, Clwyd Theatr Cymru, Oriel Gallery, Mold, Flintshire
- 2010 Time, Tradition and Travesty - Solo Show By Caroline Rudge, Clwyd Theatr Cymru, Mold (more info)
- 2012 Holburne Portrait Prize 2012, Holburne Museum, Bath
- 2010 The Holburne Portrait Prize 2010, Chapel Row Gallery, Bath
- 2008 The Holburne Portrait Prize, Chapel Row Gallery, Bath
- 2008 Welsh Portrait Award, Various venues throughout Wales during 2008 - 09, Wales
- 2006 The Dukes Contemporary Portrait Prize, Holburne Museum, Bath
- 2003 the art of reinvention, Hotbath Gallery, Bath, England
- 2005 Design, murals and artwork for newly modernised restaurant, Centurion Hotel - Cubros Restaurant, Midsomer Norton, Bath
- 2003 Large Murals and Paintings for refurbished restaurant, The Olde Bath Arms, Frome, England
- 2008 Two large paintings commissioned, Standard Chartered Bank Headquarters, London